Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harness options

Golf Juliet Tango

• Area Representative
In my 21, I have been using inertia reel belts. The current ones were fitted 6 or 7 years ago but are no longer operating well. I find they are now catching when I try to extend them. I need to shift the reel itself to persuade the belts to operate.

This is clearly not a good situation.

I think harnesses would be a better solution, I'm not sure why I didn't take this approach before.

Question: Titon or Luke? Luke offer "GHR" or "Pro" style, at noticeable difference in price. Is the only difference the construction and clip?

I replaced my passenger's side factory Luke harnesses with a Titon set because they would make the lap straps to tighten the way i wanted, they were wider and they were cheaper. Very pleased with them, with one exception. I bought them from Prima Motorsport but if I ever buy any more they'll come from Meteor Motorsport.

Jonathan

PS: The exception was that the fitting was too thick to allow easy swivelling with my old top hat spacers and they couldn't supply new ones that did. So I had a batch made that do, and still have a few left if anyone needs a pair.

• Area Representative
I thought Prima Motorsport were the manufacturer.

I use Titon in the Seven, having had Luke (is the manufacturer Carnoisseur?).

I do see that the "GHR" spec is road use only, which, in theory, is OK for the 21. But is separate straps more convenient? (I have only used an all separate straps arrangement)

• Area Representative

P.S. I, too, had difficulty fitting the triangular plates, which were too broad at some point. I'll have to look to see where I filed off to enable good movement. A vague memory was this was on the crotch straps.

For the 21, with its S-type seats, I'll probably stick to 4 point belts. In the Seven, where I use a tillet on the driver's side, I love the secure feeling of 6 point.

• 8 months later...

Have you considered the less sporty harness type?

I replaced the rather old tatty harnesses in my 7 with simpler, single buckle harness. Certainly quicker in the petrol station pit stop. And passengers find it much easier than the sporty buckle type. Just one simple buckle to do up each time.

On a 21 or less ‘racey’ 7 I reckon they are ideal.

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/seatbelts-harnesses/1388-seatbelt-4-point-harness-black.html?search_query=Seatbelts&results=28

I replaced the rather old tatty harnesses in my 7 with simpler, single buckle harness. Certainly quicker in the petrol station pit stop. And passengers find it much easier than the sporty buckle type. Just one simple buckle to do up each time.seatbelt-4-point-harness-black.jpg

I see what you mean about the single connection... and they look as if they hold their adjusted length. Is that right?

Thanks

Jonathan

When I purchased my 7 it came equipped with the 'simple' harnesses and I hated them with a passion. For me too much faff getting them on and off and to get them nice and tight it was always a problem keeping the lap belt down over the pelvis when pulling the shoulder straps down.

I've had 6 point harnesses since 2000 and they work well on S-type and Tillett seats. For me one of their advantages, in addition to preventing submarining (which I've successfully tested *yikes* ) is that the crotch strap prevents the lap straps form rising too high when pulling the shoulder straps tight. SWMBO has always worn the 6 point too *thumbs_up_thumb*