Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow woes - FINALLY sorted

I know you've changed the plugs, and this is a very long shot, but have you checked the gaps and tried closing them up? My engine (albeit a Zetec) wouldn't rev at all until I closed the gap up from 1.0mm to 0.8mm.

Straw - clutched....

Great suggestion on firing order, I keep on thinking its 1342 when its 1243, it runs like a dog on 1342, but runs just about as 2 cylinders are correct.

Another problem I had was the clamp on the dizzy which just would not secure the dizzy in place 

One other thought - the silencer wadding tried to get loose on my car and ended up blocking a lot of the silencer. Engine lacked power and ran very rough. The inner perforated tube had worked loose and the strands starting coming out of the tailpie and ended up almost bl;ocking it.

A longshot but worth adding to the list?

Andy

Thanks for latest thoughts (all added to the list)

Firing order is a good shout actually and I woke up this morning thinking whether the plug leads had been inadvertently mixed up . They are all numbered and have not been removed from the cap so I can't think why it would happen but it's another thing to check....dizzie clamp too.

Thanks again to all - going offline now but will post an update over the weekend at some point

I have just remembered problems I had when I rebuilt my Lotus Xflow 1600. Plugs kept oiling up and the engine ran like a dog. 

Problem was that I used the same plugs as my Supersprint 1700, as soon as I changed them the car was lovely.

I can find out the correct ones if it helps

Nick

Well, I gave it my best shot and worked on the car from dawn 'til dusk over the weekend checking and re-checking but no joy. She's on her way to James & Ruth Whiting on a trailer tomorrow for the guys to try and get to the bottom of it.

Thanks to all who posted and special thanks to Roger King who gave some excellent left field thoughts on possible culprits (all tried) but the car resolutely refused to play ball.

Will update once problem found and sorted.

Cheers

HWS

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all - Just to complete  the circle I wanted to post an update about my car.

Hopefully after months of endless problems my car is now fully sorted and the original nagging misfire has also been sorted too. As well as everyone posting over time I would like to thank Paul Deslandes, Roger King and most particularly James & Ruth Whiting at James Whiting Sevens who have all provided invaluable help and advice with James finally getting  to grips with the car itself and sorting the issues out (and a couple of non-engine issues) once and for all last week.

The most likely scenario, it appears, was several problems all partially obscuring (and in some cases exacerbating) each other. The most immediate (latest) fault was traced to a fairly simple ignition/timing issue (partly my error when refitting what was, as it turned out, a failing Ignitor unit) but the original long-standing issue was more problematic to nail definitively and, in reality a fair conclusion is that it was most likely a combination of several things which – with the various new parts being fitted and adjustments made, had eradicated the original issue(s) somewhere along the line.

It’s been an excruciating few months of ownership all told – never more so than all of the glorious weather we’ve had and rather ruefully watching the cars making their way to the 60th bash while mine sat under covers in the garage, undriven and (at that time) most definitely unloved !

She’s now off SORN, taxed and MOT’d, pulls like a train and I’m heading off with the missus to the New Forest 7s Buckler’s Hard picnic on Saturday to give the car and run an finally get to do what I bought the car for in teh first place - enjoyment - thanks to the organisers very kindly accepting my late entry - so I hope to see some of your fine people there.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post, very much appreciated.

HWS