Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham 7 Academy 2005 season

Jumpin Jack Flash

I am looking for documents, pictures, ... concerning the original Academy 2005 spec.

I already have a Caterham spec sheet for the 2004 season, technically those cars were identical to the 2005 season.

Especially interested in 2005 spec.: nose badge, rear badges, alloys and tyres, rollover bar and side impact bar, possible options delivered by factory, ..

Thx!

I (still) have and race an Academy 2004 car, and I have the original order form. I'm sure I have an order form for a 2005 car somewhere - it was the same with a couple of option changes, that was all. 

Nose and rear badges - cars came with standard round nose badge, some cars were supplied with a Caterham X Power rear badge, some not. Alloys were 8 spoke Anthracite wheels. All cars came with a full cage, manufactured by 'Caged'. Side impact bar was mandatory.

You can read my historical blog at www.tripleeracing.co.uk. I also have the Academy 2004 end of season video!

Why are you asking?

Dear Charles,

Thank you, this is just the information I was looking for. The reason for asking is that my collection of toys will be enlarged with an ex-Academy car from the 2005 season and I want to know what the original specification was in those days.

I shall certainly dig into your blog, great! Personally I like people who document those things

1. Was it allowed to race with a standard seat? Were the race seats supplied by Caterham the Tillett seat they still use?

2. Were the seatbelts the black Caterham - Luke harness?

Thx guys, I have learned a lot.

A last question, more an opinion. I would like to run the car on the road on the "standard" Avon CR322 185/70 they used in the Academy. On track it would be the Yoko 048 in 185/60, they use nowadays in the Graduates.

With the 185/70, the ground clearance raises with at least 15mm for road use and the yearly MOT, this without touching the suspension.

Do you think this is the right choice or are there better options?

Do you happen to know who ran your car in the Academy? Ben Rockey of Rockey Racing was in 2005, I believe, as was Trev Newman formerly of this parish, and probably a few more we know / knew.

Don't suppose we can interest you in racing it with the Graduates?

Roger,

Thank you for the offer, but I really haven' t got the time to start racing and prepare for it. When I engage myself in something, I want to do it on a serious level, getting some decent results. Otherwise I only get frustrated.

I do not know who was the first owner of my car and who ran it in the Academy. I only know the second owner, Tony Jaff, who raced the car from 2008 in the Graduates. I have asked him this week to gather as much documents as possible. I' ll also ask Caterham for the info they have about the car.

Cheers

OK, a little confusing. I know Tony Jaffe was selling his car, and that Barry White was selling Martin Kay's car.

Martin, who is sadly no longer with us, bought his car from Dylan Stanley after Dylan won the Supers championship with it in 2013. Not sure if Dylan did the Academy, I don't think he did.

• 3 weeks later...