Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Donington 11th July

Peter De La Mare

• Leadership Team

Peter

Not entirely sure what you mean by asking if the DP trackday 'counts as a Club day'.

The background is that we envisaged this event as the perfect tailpiece to the 60th Anniversary celebrations and we approached BaT to arrange the day and operate it for us.  We agreed with BaT that the Club would have a period of exclusivity where, initially, places would be offered only to Club members, at a special price and with some 'extras' thrown in as well.  We also agreed that the event would be opened up to non-members from the end of this exclusive period, so from the beginning of April, to allow BaT to attract sufficient participants overall to make the day financially viable.

From memory, 34 Club members took advantage of the 'early bird offer'.  BaT is now taking bookings from other interested Caterham drivers (whether Club member or not) until they reach their event capacity limit.

So expect a significant Club presence - but essentially the event is being run by BaT to BaT rules and procedures, so some aspects will be different to the 'normal' Club events that Dave and I organise.

See you there!

James

• 3 weeks later...

Well I broke down on the M1 hard shoulder ( twice !) 

I thought it was just wet electrics as it was misfiring badly in the torrential rain and flooding .

Ended up in a truck stop near Milton Keynes . Happened to grind to a halt next to what turned out to be an enclosed super car transporter ( empty ) The driver was a real car nut and offered to take me home !!!

In the end I didn't need it , changed the plugs and all was fine , one appeared to have a loose end so that was probably the problem .

Griffchris, I took your advice about aeroscreens, however, I did discover a couple of things driving home.

1. Rain stings a bit on the small bits of your face you have failed to cover.

2. The slow dribble of water going down your neck builds up over time when driving for 2.5 hours.

The solution is I think to get a new helmet which does not hurt my head after being worn for 30+ minutes so the water would stay outside the waterproof layers. At least the water was warm.

Track day itself was fun, if a bit less fast than I was hoping for.

Well I was utterly gutted.   I was so excited for this day, I was checking the weather radar every hour thoughout Monday and the rain appeared to be starting later and later all the time.

Then when I checked late Monday night it was horrific, but still I had hope in the morning.  At 0600 I checked everything again and decided to can it and go to work instead. 

A week-day track day in the Caterham is expensive, an unpaid day, paying Steve for his day and fuel costs to deliver and run the car, insurance etc. 

There'll be a next time, I'm determined to do a Caterham day, I've a huge list of people I owe rides to!

Peter  - I was gutted that you didn't come!   I'd really love to see your amazing car on track...

I too was tempted to stay at home - but glad in the end I didn't.  The track was actually dry in parts for quite a lot of the morning and almost fast and grippy at times - seriously enjoyable with relaxed open pitlane running and very few cars on track.    But with more rain forecast, I went home at lunchtime and made it back to Kent at a civilised hour in readiness for work the next day.

Yesterday I found my legs and arms were aching more than usual after a track day, so I must have had some fun.   So, in all, half a great day.....though after the (also very enjoyable) club day at Cadwell, where track time was seriously limited by the decision to stick with sessions for most of the day, the recent £-spent per track-mile-completed ratio hasn't been too good for me!  

Happily, though, I have a brilliant-value open pitlane day at Spa with Lotus- on-Track coming up in a couple of weeks,  for which I am fully braced for rain....  I was last there with my first Caterham eleven years ago, and it rained continuously from just after the drivers' briefing in the morning until just after the chequered flag in the late afternoon, with (sod's law) dry weather either side of that.    So my expectations are zero..

Anyway, Peter, do please try to come to the Brands Hatch club day on 21st August, if you're OK with their slightly tricky noise limits.....?

Stephen *byebye*

James thanks for all the hard work in making it happen ... the day not the weather

Enjoyed the session before lunch even if Coppice continued to offer less grip than the rest of the circuit

Great catch up with 'old' friends and meet new ones

• Leadership Team

David

Great to catch-up again. 

Yes, the session immediately before lunch was probably the best of the day.  The deluge in the afternoon stopped play on a couple of occasions but the last hour or so was quite good again.  Strangely, after the later downpours, it wasn't just Coppice that was a bit tricky but Old Hairpin decided to come over all slippery, and even the exit from McLeans was becoming a bit playful...

Brands Hatch GP (21st August) next up - the third opportunity this year to drive a UK GP circuit with the Club!

James