Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1500 pre crossflow high rev problem RESOLVED

1500 pre crossflow single Weber.

Running well until going above 4500rpm, after 10-15 seconds seems to be suddenly out of fuel. Dip the clutch and it returns to a weak idle failing to rev.

Have checked jets are clear. Floats set correctly. New fuel pump, filter and fuel lines between filter and carb.

(New plugs, points, coil and leads)

Am usually quite good at diagnosing issues but am getting frustrated with this one!

Any thoughts?

Running well until going above 4500rpm, after 10-15 seconds seems to be suddenly out of fuel. Dip the clutch and it returns to a weak idle failing to rev.

If you switch off does it recover by itself after a time?

Have you tried removing the fuel filler cap? And do you hear an inrush of air when you do that after it's been running for a time or just after the fault has occurred?

Jonathan

A number of years ago I had a problem with my Series 2 1500 Cosworth which was due to the pipe from the petrol tank, the bend where it leaves the tank, becoming partially blocked with sediment. I'm using a SU electric pump and once the float chambers had emptied the car spluttered and I stopped, then the pump filled the float chambers and off I went for a short distance till it happened again. 

Modern fuels with ethanol can soften old rubber based fuel hose, if the pump is at the engine end, such as the original ford mechanical pump, the suction can pull the hose shut as the revs rise, then at tick over, suction falls and it opens up again and allows the weber float chamber to refill.

Have you actually checked the fuel delivery rate to the carburettor? I know it's not so easy with a mechanical pump, but it should be possible to run on the fuel in the float chamber long enough to check flow rate into a bucket.

ALL USUAL WARNINGS ABOUT FIRE HAZARD AND THE NEED FOR EXTINGUISHERS, ETC, APPLY TO THIS - WITH KNOBS ON!