Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side Screen Imploding

Occulomency

I was making progress up the A1 yesterday in my S3 when the passenger side screen decided to join me in the cockpit (whilst still attached to the windscreen upright).

Now at any speed beyond 45 mph, it refuses to stay put on the outside of the car where it belongs. It seems straight enough and it doesn't appear damaged in any way upon inspection.

Are there any fixes to this issue apart from buying a new set with armrests from Thundersports?

Fraser.

Just been out to have a look at why they don't all do that. Mine seems to have a longitudinal stiffening bar that spans the passenger's cutout. Does that feel intact when you press it inwards? Compare with the driver's.

Hinges and hinge pins OK?

I'd guess that's replaceable, and I'd talk to Thundersport/ Oxted and Soft Bits for Sevens.

But if the window is scratched or opaque or tired I'd replace the whole door.

Jonathan

PS: Do we still have a helpful Member at Oxted?

Jonathan,

The stiffening bar seems intact and pretty much identical to the driver's side screen. The hinges and pins likewise seem fine. The screens are 19 years old, but look in pretty good shape.

I guess a trip to Oxted might be the way forward.

Fraser.

Hi Fraser,

Sounds a bit familiar, although mine is a CSR (SV dimensions) and the problem occurred at a higher speed.

I cured the problem by fitting a turnbuckle to the wheel arch / door so that when I'm solo the door stays put.  Shouldn't be necessary but in mine - and I'm not the only one - it is.  Seems that the design and construction of doors varies quite a bit and some - with shorter bracers are vulnerable to this.

Check out the thread below:

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/passenger-door-blowing-back-extended-motorway-speed

Neil