Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake help please

Stoff

Help please.

1.8K Series SV

Some how in releasing the handbrake the other day I broke it as the whole mechanism started to pivot. I thought I must have lost/broken one of the bolts that connect the handbrake assembly to its mounting bracket.

Today I removed the top from the transmission tunnel and it now appears I do not know my own strength as it turns out I have managed to rip the handbrake complete with the whole mounting bracket form the chassis.

The question is how to fix it back. I was thinking a spot weld at each corner. Then a touch up with hammerite ? Sound right ?

Chris

Thanks for the quick response.

No obvious deformation of the bracket.

It just looks like the original welds holding it to the chassis were poor and were not full penetration. There is very light rust on the chassis tubes were it was connected as it looked like when the chassis was painted (black epoxy ??) there was a slight gap that the paint did not get into. I can't see the underside of the bracket but the top side looks sound and straight if a little dirty.

It looks like I would have to disconnect the handbrake cable to get the bracket into position as when I pull it back into the original position there is a just enough tension in the cable to pull it back out of position.

Thanks for the link to the archive. I did try the "search" function on the main header page but was having difficulty getting it to "focus" in on what I wanted. The link you have given appears to give me more filters so I will give it a go tonight.

As for photos....beyond my IT skills I'm afraid !!

Thanks.

Well done with the photo. I've played with it a bit for viewing on a computer screen:

IMG_0360_LI(2).jpg.9d5b34501d56840633999540e113a2b7.jpg

I haven't taken up the welding course I was given as a retirement present but it looks do-able. But I wouldn't think that spot welding was the method of choice.

Whereabouts is the car? I wonder if we can come up with somewhere local and suitable...

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies.

Ian - I think it is metric from when I replaced the rollover bar to a double diagonal. It is a bit dirty in the area of the welds but they residue does not "look" like bronze. It's and SV on an 03 plate.

Jonathan - Thanks for the help. If nothing else I can now post pictures thanks to your pointer. I am not sure how you did the changes to the contrast on the photo but it definitely makes it clearer. Shame it makes my writing look even more like that of a 3 year old child with a wax crayon !  :)

I live near Macclesfield (Cheshire). I normally get it services at Kenricks.

I have not pulled the handbrake up away from the drive shaft using cable ties although I would n't like to have to use the handbrake many times this way. I was thinking about taking it to Oakmere (Christopher Neal) near Northwich.

Many Thanks, Chris

Welding that is going to be pretty awkward without removing the transmission tunnel sides. I wonder whether it would be easier to fabricate a entirely new sheet steel bracket that can be riveted onto the top chassis tubes.