Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reverse Light Switch

chris whitlow

My '97 super sport had a five speed gearbox and the reverse light switch had a presss stud type connector. I've now swapped gear box and the switch on the new box has one bullet connector. I assumed the only difference was the connector so swapped the the press stud for a bullet, connected it up, but it doesn't work.

Was I expecting too much?

Anyone have any ideas how I need to wire it up as all the wiring diagrams I've found have two connections on the reverse light switch.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

My switch has 2 bullet connectors one of which is earthed. Check one hasnt been knocked off! If only one then suspect its an earth issue.

My kit came with a short earth lead - 90 degree bullet connector and largeish ring terminal that gets bolted in with the switch itself.

Last 2 times I took the engine out managed to knock the bullet conns off the switch! Doh

Ian

I assumed the only difference was the connector so swapped the the press stud for a bullet, connected it up, but it doesn't work.

Was that only that the light didn't come on when you expected it to or have you checked the switch and circuit in some other way?

Have you shorted the wire to the switch directly to earth, and if so did the light come on then?

Do you have a multimeter?

Jonathan

Thanks for the replies.

I've managed to remove the switch and on closer inspection it looks like there were originally two connections.

I've got 12v at the original wire and when I ground it the reverse light comes on so, once I have a new switch, can I just connect one side to ground and the other to the 12v?

Yes. The switch is going to be a neater version of you connecting that wire to earth by hand.

Jonathan

PS: You can probably ignore the next bit. I know that you've measured 12 V on that wire, but I don't think of it that way and wouldn't call it that. It's a switched earth. It's only showing 12 V because it's connected to the 12 V feed through the filament of the lamp and there's no current flowing at the moment.