Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulkhead Carpet

Gary Stone

I am about to fit a rear bulkhead carpet. My car doesn't have one a present. One would assume that a purpose made piece of carpet would just fit. But its a bit like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.

When the tunnel top is removed the tunnel frame work itself is square & the carpet is cut in a curved shape & also not wide enough to slip over the tunnel.

Am I expected to cut slits in the carpet & trim to fit?

Has any one else fitted a bulkhead carpet without removing one that could normally be used as a template.

I am told this is the carpet for my car so isn't another choice.

Am I expected to cut slits in the carpet & trim to fit?

Yes. From the Assembly Guide:

10.2) Seat back carpets

Warning

Ensure adhesive is applied in a well- ventilated area. Follow instructions on adhesive packaging. Care must be taken whilst working in a confined area e.g. The footwell.

The carpet that covers the seat back area has a vinyl strip along the upper edge. Lay the carpet into place ensuring that the carpet covers the aluminium seat back right down to the floor. Apply adhesive to the vinyl strip and stick to the square tube at the top of the seat back panel.

The seatback carpet will need to be cut to allow the seat belt through it. Mark the carpet where the inertia reel seat belt exits the seat back and cut a slot.

The carpet must fit flat at the transmission tunnel. If necessary, small cuts should be made in the area of the corners to allow the tabs on the carpet to hinge out against the transmission tunnel.

Once the carpet has been fitted around the transmission tunnel apply adhesive to the carpet and press into position against the seat back. It is only necessary to apply adhesive as far down as the top of the transmission tunnel as the remainder of the carpet is behind the seats. 

Those slits will then be covered by the tunnel carpet pieces.

Jonathan

PS: You've started two threads. How about changing the title of the other so all the replies accumulate here?

I can't remember cutting mine, but sounds like may well have to. I just wanted to say, that I fixed mine in place with self adhesive velcro so it can be removed. I put some under the tube in the boot to secure the vinyl part and about four strips down the front. It has stayed put and will make access to the damper bolts easier in the long run.

Getting old guys. *yikes*

But it was all looking tired & scratched from putting chairs & tonneau etc behind the seats.

Same as interior, which is why i am revamping it all. New harnesses, Tunnel top & Seat pads.

After measuring tunnel frame work at bulkhead I will have to cut out a 11" by 7" to fit carpet in place properly.

Gona try double sided carpet tape.

Gary - are you buying flat carpet and then cutting to fit, or do you have the carpet already and are just adjusting it?

I ask because I just bought a roll of carpet from CBS and cut two pieces, one to fit the rear bulkhead and one to fit the tunnel. If that's the route you're going down, I'm happy to write a few steps of what I did. I have no prior experience, but simply measured about a million times and left a margin for error on my cuts at all times, reasoning you can cut more, but not add it back.

OK - just re-read and you have a theoretically correct bit of carpet already. I can still outline what I did if it's of interest, but I found using some chalk helpful to mark lines while the carpet was in situ.

Thanks Daniel

I bought my carpet from Redline. So fits well bar a couple of corners that need a bit trimmed off.

I used double sided carpet tape. Hopefully that will work. Didn't what to glue it.

All done now to. Looks like a new car now with new harnesses,new seat pads, new tunnel top, tunnel carpet & bulkhead carpet.

Just wondering about a new steering wheel to. Mine looks used against all the new stuff.

Very pleased.