Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to re-programme Aces Shift Lights?

justcallmemac

Hello,

Just had my R500D remapped by the two Steves at Track 'n' Road and ideally need to modify my shift lights to reflect a change in shift points as they are peaking too early now.

Are the changes carried out on the shift light panel or is there a control module hidden somewhere?

Many thanks.

If you have the same SureShift 2 as on my R400D, you'll find a User Manual here.  Mind you, IMHO it's very poorly written and mightily confusing.

You enter the changes via the Control Module -- in the cockpit and normally attached to the bulkhead just above the steering column.

JV

• Leadership Team

Yup - control box will be to the right and above the steering column on the driver's side bulkhead panel (inside the cabin).  Once you get your mind around the setting procedure, it's quite straightforward. 

So did the session go well?  I'd be really interested to see the figures you obtained for the car (did you do a before and after), and what rev limit you are now moving to.  Did you run it with the underbonnet (so-called trackday) airbox or the external (and noisier) version?  I keep meaning to take mine down to Steve and your post might push me to do that.

James

Thanks everyone. Control module is indeed located against drivers side bulkhead as others have stated. Not sure if it's quickly removable, which would make things easier but I'll have a look later. Looking at the manual, it doesn't seem too difficult to set both the final 'Shift Up' and first 'Up-Light' positions and I take it the remaining lights in between are sequenced automatically, as equally as possible.

James, I had a great day at Track 'n' Road and was blown away by how dedicated 'the two Steve's' were in mapping the car as it wasn't entirely straightforward. They sure are a double act and watching them work together to get the best result possible was good fun and reassuring because they kept going until they were completely happy.

After an excellent compression test, (just over 1,000 miles on the clock so had hoped that would be the case) and fitting a new ECU, (swapped out the factory MBE with an MBE 9A4), I ended up with 265 bhp at 8,974 and 169 LB/ft at 6,191. (Mapped on Esso Synergy Supreme+ 97 octane) I'll therefore set the upper shift light at 8400 / 8500, which is circa 260 bhp, to give myself some leeway.

Took the car out for the first time on Saturday after taking it off of SORN and power delivery felt so much better. Pretty much linear throughout the entire rev range but bonkers from around 5,000 rpm and so much so that I took a sharp intake of breath on a couple of occasions and am going to have to re-familarise myself with the car as the characteristics are different from before but definitely for the better. 

The only issue I have, as I've always had, is that at low speed / low revs she's still not the smoothest and I'm having to use lower than ideal gearing, (manual gearbox) and balance on the throttle / clutch to manage the 'kangarooing,' although it's not as bad as before. Not sure if this simply down to the high state of tune and unavoidable as a result but I'll talk to Steve G to see if it's something that can be sorted at some point. Get beyond that though and it's all sunshine and roses!

• Leadership Team

The same here as for John, the box is held on with super-strong locking tape.

I'm interested in your rolling road session, though.  Firstly, that you went as high as 8,974 (or maybe even higher if you started to come down the other side from peak power) - as I understand it, that's quite a speed for a R500.  DId Steve set a soft and hard cut-out into the ECU (I know the standard CC ECU, a 992, has a soft limit at 8500 and a hard one at 8600?  Would be great if you could post-up a copy of the final curve - would be interesting to compare it with others that are around.

Shame that you still have some lumpiness in midrange driveability; I think that's important to get right.  For me, one of the main reasons for wanting a rolling road session with my current car is not so much to gain more at the top-end but, instead, to keep that whilst smoothing out the lumpy torque curve around the 4500-5000-5500 area.  I know that choice of airbox helps here (the best combination being the original R500 external carbon box used in conjunction with the Piper foam filter) so it would be good to hear what you're running.  Any other mods on your engine?  Standard exhaust, or...?

James