Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 lighting and relay issue

r300chris

I have. R500 D with superlight switch gear (savage make of switches and keyless ignition system) I Had a problem today when I pushed start button 1st stage of turning ignition on, then I turned on lights and found that I could'nt turn off ignition or start engine or turn off lights, kept hearing what sounded like a rapid relay making / un-making. Had to disconnect battery to reset it 

any ideas what the problem is ?

chris

I don't know that set-up. Do you have a wiring diagram?

How do you turn off the ignition?

Did the chatter only occur when you tried to start the engine or all the time?

The fault occurred when you had the lights on before starting the engine? I'd check:

1. The headlamp relay.
  2. Any relevant fuses.
  3. The state of the battery: voltage at rest, minimum during cranking and at 3,000 rpm.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, not had car long and I don't currently have a wiring diagram.

Turn off ignition by pushing start button, quick push.

chatter only occurred when I turned on lights after turning on ignition. Battery had been on trickle charge, just driven 15 miles to meet point for a blat.

will have to check relays

chris

• Leadership Team

Chris

I would suspect the battery state of charge, myself. Sounds as though having the headlamps on without the engine running was enough to pull down the voltage so that the car woudn't get into its start routine.

If, however, the battery is in a good state of charge and all of the relays are properly in place, then I'd be suspecting the wretched immobiliser.

It will be something simple!

James

Hi James,

don't think it's battery as hadn't charged it for a few weeks and it had always started ok.

ironically it had been on charge via an optimate for few days at was in good state, and I drove on mainly motorways for about 15 miles to blat point. ?  I had a similar thing happen night before when checking lights, but after several pushes of start / stop button and light switch it reset, although sounded like relay clicking in and out furiously.  I thought it may have been due to me not having immobiliser fob in place as I was in my garage doing a quick check.  Sounds more like a relay fault to me.

additionally on Sunday day of blat, I was trying to turn off lights, had people watching at front and back of car, and occasionally rear lights went off but headlights stayed on ?

chris

Have you checked that the relays are seated correctly? Had an issue with indicators last year after fitting a new touch-type immobiliser and it turned out I'd inadvertently knocked a relay although it was far from obvious it wasn't seated properly.

Failing that, you should be able to feel the offending relay clicking in and out, with a view to replacing it if needs be.

Good luck with the problem Chris. The car looked lovely BTW.

When you were playing with the buttons prior to disconnecting the battery I did notice the rear lights go off a couple of times but because you couldn't see, you pushed again before we could say stop, and then they were back on.  

Is it possible to scramble the electronics by rapid button pushing? It is on boilers, I should know!

Another blat before too long I hope. *thumb_up*

Update, checked car last night and I cannot get the problem to repeat itself, it's gone away, for the moment anyway.  But I will check the relays are in place, it's just come to mind that the Velcro holding the relays and fuse board in place seems to be weak as after hard acceleration or cornering the whole lot comes loose and hangs on the cables, so maybe I should sort that out ?

Martin, yes let's get out again soon

Chris