Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT time

Gunscrossed

I've got the ex-academy car booked in for MOT Thursday.

The plan is to take it in with just the drivers seat and harness fitted, and with the aero screen. I've refitted the lights and got them all working, Just need to replace a couple of switches tomorrow.

Emissions I won't know until the day but at least if it fails, I'll have a list to work on. Will then fit the passenger seat, harness, screen and wipers at my leisure.

Am I missing anything obvious?

According to Google;

"Requirements and Procedures are 1.Check that the vehicle is fitted with the correct amount of obligatory mirrors. Obligatory mirrors required are: one interior and one offside mirror If the interior mirror cannot meet the field of view requirements see note Below then the obligatory mirrors required are: one nearside mirror and one offside mirror Note: An interior mirror must be fitted unless: It would provide no rearward vision e.g. obscured by a solid bulkhead The vehicle has a central driving position where there is no practical position for the mounting of an interior mirror "

Which sounds like your's should have a central mirror?

Construction and use regulations under Road Traffic Act 1988 state that for a motorcar a minimum of 2 mirrors are required and that of those the offside mirror is obligatory. Therefore the other can either be an internal (or centre mirror ) or an offside mirror. Or both if you wish. This is to allow vans etc which have a bulkhead and would then have an offside and nearside mirror. This is an MOT requirement.

• Leadership Team

Is there a minimum size stipulated in the regs. for any mirrors, wing or central?

I often wonder if some of these racing type mirrors are large enough to qualify were I to fit them, or whether the forces of Laura Norder might pull me over and chastise me.

• Leadership Team

Gordon Bennett, Jonathan!  Do I have to wade through that lot?  I hoped your encyclopedic knowledge would have saved me having to do that.  My lips still move when I read!