Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Bleeding equipment

Tony C

Guys, just got a "Mityvac Brake Bleeding Kit". Has anyone any experience with this seemingly good bit of kit?

Apparently it's attached to the bleed nipple and a vacuum (well suction I guess) pumped to draw fluid through from the reservoir.

My thinking is: if a 'vacuum is drawn the fluid will displace the entire volume of the brake system and air bubbles won't be 'left behind'.

Sounds good in theory; guess I should have asked before buying I suppose, but I'll be trying it out on Colin Grundy's car first 😬

STILL waiting for my BRG SV kit. 😬

I purchased a mityvac with the intention of using it to bleed my brakes. It didn't work that well because I was not able to get a good seal between the bleed nipple on the brake and the mityvac attachment fitting.

I ended up using a pressure bleeder on my brakes.

The mityvac was not a waste of money. I have used it for other things like sucking the brake fluid out of the master cylinder. You'll also develope a much stronger grip (and probably blisters) if you use the mityvac often.

Bart Lami, 93 HPC

Being too stuborn/Frugal to buy a "mityvac" cuz it simply dosen't look worth half the asking price.. I long ago adopted the use of those large plastic Syringes as my improptu "bleeding' tool.. Almost free.. these work perfectly.. simply fit a piece of suitable tubing to the end to fit over the bleeder nipple being serviced and gently "suck" away by pulling out the plunger on the Syringe. If you were clever enough to use clear tubing you can easily watch the bubble progress.

Brake fluid can and does damage the Syringes rubber plunger seal, so if you want to keep the thing for some future use (as opposed to buying another one) simply wash off the Fluid thouroughly after use.

A bit of vaseline or grease around the rubber nipple clip (!!) works a treat. I had the same air leaking in problem until I did this.

I find the vacuum bleeder very efficient at starting the bleeding process off. With a completely dry system and huge anmounts of air I find the manual pump the pedal system struggles. But 10 minutes with the vacuum bleeder gets 90% of the air out then the time honoured traditional method finishes it off.