Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advantages of the normal roll bar?

arty

Hi all, has anyone thought about the advantages of the ordinary [non track] Roll Bar?

I have bought a car with a cage that i don't want to keep and so its either a track bar or the normal roll bar.

Are there any actual advantages to the normal roll bar or are they fitted just so folk can then upgrade to track bars?

Rich

Cheers Ged, i can't imagine many, i thought about access behind the seats for storage when touring but i havn't the experience and assume really that i should replace the cage with a track bar and not bother with an ordinary roll bar.

• Area Representative

The 'new' post 2001 Roll Over Bar is fine until you consider it's virtues: Not cross braced so it is less resistant to buckling. No under bolting through the top of the suspension strut so could be inclined to pop out under asymmetric force (the poor little top bracket bolt will not help).

Of course the scenarios under which the standard Roll Over Bar may not cut the mustard are undoubtedly unlikely on the road or track. But I have never had less than the 'FIA' Track Day Roll Bar fitted to my three Sevens that I have owned.....JIC.

Thanks all, It looks like i can get hold of an imperial age roll bar and from the measurements it could fit my metric car. So i am going to try it and see, sell the cage and then buy an FIA if and when. The bar that i am being given is quite old, i'm not sure whether the newer ones are any more reasurring. If newer ones are different or indeed metric necessary then i shall be looking to get buy one from someone in the north.

Thanks for all the opinions and entertaining difference of opinion. Its why i was only asking for the benefits and not a 'for and against' discussion.

Rich

Just my opinion, but I think the standard bar is much better looking than the FIA bar.  Also, if you use the full hood (like I do) erecting the hood is much easier if you have the standard bar.  If you do happen to roll the car over, the FIA bar is taller and stronger. The first three sports cars I owned had no roll-over bar at all.  I never did roll any of these cars, but maybe it's just a matter of time. I wouldn't change from the standard bar unless I was going to do a lot of track time, although the only track I have been on does not require the FIA bar--just the standard bar.

Richtimms,

I'm not sure if this applies to the rollover bars as well, but you can fit a metric rollcage to an imperial chassis but not a imperial cage to a metric chassis. This is because the rear legs that fir into the 'buckets' on the chassis are deeper on an imperial cage.

Hopefully someone can confirm/deny if this also applies to rollover bars

Re. Richtimms and Aeroscreens comments. Would I be right to think the metric rollover bar fits the

Imperial chassis? Is it made from a larger size tube than the thin early bars? Also is it's profile the same i.e. the height and angle of the upright?

If so it would seem reasonable upgrade over an early bar for road use.

JNC

We were on the M6, a couple of miles north of Spaghetti junction, heading to Anglesey to race with the Grads, it was a Thursday lunchtime in July 2008 & was sunny & perfectly clear. Traffic was very heavy, stop/start, I was doing about 20mph in the middle lane, minding my own business when suddenly all hell broke loose. we were hit hard from behind, into the lorry in front (I thought were were going to be crushed between the lorries as the bonnet started to crumple up). The trailer came off & was hit by a third lorry. When we came to a halt my reflex reaction was to turn round to see what had happened, there were flames already licking up the side of my Golf. Fortunately the doors still opened & we were able to get out & away to safety. It took the emergency services a while to arrive due to the heavy traffic by which time everything had been destroyed by the fire & we were left sitting on the Armco in our shorts & T-shirts. The M6 north was closed for about 3 hrs & had to be resurfaced overnight.

The Golf & trailer were insured with the NFU who were brilliant, all sorted within 3 weeks. The Mega & all my race stuff was not insured, but fortunately I had 'Legal Expenses' cover with the NFU & they put it in the hands of a solicitor in Bristol to fight my corner. I eventually got a reasonable settlement, but it took the best part of a year. It was a very painful & frustrating experience.

Great discussion all, i picked up an old roll bar yeaterday but won't have time for a couple of weeks to have a go at swopping it for the cage. I will aim to inform how it went and indeed if it does not fit [or does of course].