Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side exit on a 620R noise levels

craig2003

Ha ha Blue, that bad you think?

I have a side exit to fit when I get home but KH are set at 105 db, the car just scraped through IVA, first attempt it was reading 100.6 but passed 2nd time round. I know it will be an increase but how much is the question, should I leave it be until after the track day?

You are determined to annoy Police Scotland!!!  There are quieter silencers out there that you could use for track days, Caterham used to stock them but "no longer in stock".  My personal opinion is that the contrived rear exit exhaust is not cost effective but Graham MacDonald is an Accountant so should be aware of the material costs.

Your car sounds awesome, I suppose the only option is to maybe fit the standard side exist exhaust and when it comes to MOT or track days switch back, but it is a hassle.

I think I heard you 100 miles away last weekend so when I pass you by in May on the way to Orkney I will return the favour ... early in the morning while Police Scotland are still asleep!

Another two years or so until the MOT so will probably end up with the raceco version on at some point. At least I can say it is a legitimate factory option (sort of).

What date are you up north in May? I will be back in the UK to take on the mighty McLaren P1 at the race the runway day on the 20th in Leuchars

p.s I will most likely be up and bacon butties ready for you passing, tomato or brown sauce is it?

• Leadership Team

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experience of running a Raceco on a 620.  I don't have before and after figures for my R500D but, subjectively, it has made a significant difference to the noise levels on my car.  And, from my perspective, anything that provides a viable option to the under-car/rear-exit exhaust on a 620 has to be a worthwhile change; it just looks so... wrong.

James

One of the first 620R owners tried to do Silverstone with the side exit , was well over 110 on the drive by !!

Caterham tried numerous side exit development systems with the help of Cranfield I believe and couldn't get an acceptable level .Hence the bespoke rear exit arrangement .

Its pointless taking off the rear can if you want to use it on track .I had both systems and sold the side can to a R400 owner as it wasn't any use to me .

Cheers for the comments, I will keep you posted.

Yeah the P1 should be an experience, according to their website there will be some fairly special cars in attendance.

i think I will leave the rear exit on until after the night at Knockhill, 110 db is pretty loud

Porsche sell lots of models that could be described as too fast for the road .

The 620 as sold by Caterham with the rear exit exhaust can run at pretty well any track without a noise issue .

it was the comment about modifying the standard set up that makes it too noisy ,

The first cars came with the side exhaust, which sounds incredible both loud and pops n crackles....but won't allow you on any circuit! I got redflagged at Silverstone for 113db and I was driving like a granny!

But it's OK for Curborough, Santa Pod etc!

They then delivered the rear exit exhaust which is much quieter but boring! Takes a smidge of road clearance too. Half an hour to swap, so I tend to use the side exhaust normally and then fit the rear exit for track days.

Naturally my new 620R has the rear exit exhaust fitted as standard, it's not the best looking solution, but it is needed for track days, so I forced to live with it.

However as we do lots of days at Curborough, and I plan to go to Santa Pod for the PH SS, I think i might swap over to my side exit Raceco silencer just for the fun of the pops and bangs.

Will make sure I post a decent video of the noise , before and after style! 

• 1 month later...

I fitted the side exit after all and had no issues at Knockhill. The noise now is incredible and can quite clearly be heard on the other side of the track.

Here is a short clip of it at full chat after the hairpin

Another on the back straight chasing an Evora and a GTR

Sorry about the quality they were taken on a phone!

AWESOME is how i would describe it, heard the one at carfest last year and thought it was an F1 car and then the 620 came around the corner, gave me goose bumps and an urge to spend money.

I doubt it would be welcome on the roads though or at many track days (if any)....still AWESOME

Craig, do you have any idea about the time you will be on track?  I have bought tickets but they haven't arrived in the post yet.  I phoned yesterday and was advised that they will be delivered today.  I have sent numerous emails asking about the event programme but no replies.

Blue