Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engineers report with engine change

F111C

Hello I am Changing my engine from Crossflow to Zetec I purchased the engine from Raceline and it is a new crate service engine without an engine number. I have been given a certificate of newness from Raceline and my plan is to add a few extra letters to the original engine number stamped on the chassis plate and stamp the same number onto my new engine so that they match, I was then going to send the certificate of newness and a covering note to explain the similarity of the new engine number to DVLA with the log book to get it updated. I am concerned that they might request an engineers report for this engine change. Has anyone had to supply an engineers report when they have changed their engines?

When I did mine a few years ago all anyone was interested in was the ne capacity. No one at the DVLA wanted to know the new engine number. Come to think of it, I have no idea what my engine number is! Apart from engine number 2. Maybe DVA stamped a number in it when he built it! 

Nope, changed my x/flow for a Zetec in 2010 and simply supplied the Certificate of Newness from Raceline together with a made up engine number (which I've yet to stamp on the engine) and sent to DVLA with V5c. New V5c arrived back within 10 days *thumb_up*

I think the advice is not to alter the chassis plate, but phone dvla for confirmation. I had  a secondhand but unstamped and unused zetec, so i used my ebay receipt as proof of purchase and got a local garage to state on its headed paper that it was installed using oem parts intended for the American market and had an engine number. I did stamp my block with the crossflow number with a Z added at the end and gave this number to DVLA. All went ok. You will need to MOT before using it.

I did the same swap a couple of years ago and also got a new un-stamped new engine from Raceline.

As F355 says, the "engineers report" is basically  letter from your MOT station saying they have inspected the car, that the new engine has an ID and that new engine is installed in your car.

The new engine ID obviouly needs to be unique so I used the existing Caterham chassis number suffixed with the Ford date code for the year of engine manufacture and just stamped it on the block myself using a metal stamping kit and hammer. It clearly isnt a factory staming and doesnt need to pretend to be.

I gave my MOT station the required wording for the letter / engineers report and they just printed it on their headed paper and signed it; FOC. I still have a copy of the letter (which met all DVLA requirements) so if you PM me with you email address i can send you a copy and you can just substitute the relevant names and numbers if you wish.

Rob

When I did the K series to Duratec conversion, as said above, I got the garage to certify the engine number with a headed paper from the garage and signed by the MOT tester. FOC, but I left them some beers as they do a few things for me.

All went through with no problems.

Cheers

Ian

You lucky B'stards.

If you have a couple hours to waste have a look at the link, ( sorry Dinosaur here, no linky), on engine swap here in NZ. 

Engine & Drive-train Conversions - lvvta

Hope this works, not much luck with technology 'round here recently. 

Enjoy your new engine experience.

Nigel.