Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque increments on a head

abbot

Not sure how directly relevant it is but ...

On a K Series the specified procedure is 20 Nm in sequence, then two lots of 180° in sequence. However I've seen a video of them being assembled on the line at Longbridge and they used a big rig that tightened all the head bolts simultaneously.

I think the important think is to spread the load evenly, so not do up any one bolt too much without letting the others catch up. So in the case of the K Series I don't see any harm in doing four lots of 90° in sequence. In fact that's what I've usually done as I just find it easier that trying to go round 180° on a breaker bar. I'll probably get told off now!

I've not done a K series head but from the above I assume that the head is fixed with bolts rather than studs and nuts.

If bolts, always make sure that the bolt holes in the block are absolutely dry and free of any oil, water etc.  Otherwise you will get hydraulic lock as you tighten the bolts and they will not go fully home and, if you try to fully tighten you will shear it off!

I wonder how I know that..................?

Paul

Paul, the K uses a sandwich construction. The "head bolts" are actually something like 35cm long and pass clean through the block and crankshaft ladder and the threaded tips screw into the oil control rail which is right down in the sump, clamping the whole engine in compression. The holes in the oil control rail are open, in fact the bolts project through the bottom of the rail, so the situation you describe cannot arise on a K. Well worth remembering on other engines though!

Interesting comments.  I did not clarify in this thread but the engine in question is a 998cc Classic A series Mini engine.  It is my other project to stop me playing too much with the X-Flow