Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Opinions please - I know you all have at least one

shn7

Having been pulled off at Brands for excessive drive by noise yesterday I think I need to fit the Bernard Scouse air box Grubbster included when I bought his car.

Static test was fine at 93.6db with Raceco can so I don't think exhaust is the problem.

The question is, do I absolutely need a mapping session after fitting it. If I don't am I asking for engine damaging trouble?

Any else fitted one, had a mapping session afterwards and found changes were so minor it wasn't necessary?

I'll go first then ;)

If it were me I'd pop it along to Jim in Portsmouth for a quick mapping session afterwards, he's good and reasonably priced.

What revs did you get away with for the static test? 4,500 is often asked for but as you know it gets a 'bit' louder higher up the range required for a hot lap.

Steve, they getting tougher and tougher there these days. Track days midweek are getting a waste of time for powerful Seven, I personally would keep clear of them. You could spend fortune on induction and exhaust noise reduction but still get thrown off. Test days are also becoming difficult so my advice is check noise limits when booking as they do vary and not have knee jerk reaction to Mr noise plod

Pendennis,

It's never going to get easier to get out and play.  As I already have the airbox parts the only investment there is some of my time.  The remap question and associated cost was the only issue making me question whether to fit it or not.

Weekend trackdays are harder for me so weekdays preferred. 

I actually wrapped the induction area with some cardboard, an old towel, gaffa tape and cable ties and got back out on track for the rest of the day.  I also used a 6.5k max revs rather than 7.6k that I'd set my shift lights to. This didn't spoil the fun much and I was still very much among the quickest on track.

Steve.

Steve

I recommend you lock wire the bolts for the Bernard Scouse air box. There have been a few cases of the bolts vibrating out and the inner clip they screw through then being inducted into the engine. I incurred expensive valve, piston and liner damage that way.

Regards, Andy

Steve

When I had my R500K I had it mapped with the standard sausage filter at Track n Road and then fitted a Bernard Scouse airbox which had a KN cone filter. A power run identified that fitting the airbox caused the engine to run rich and to loose power, although Steve Greenald was confident some of the power could be recovered by altering the map. As I was using the standard MBE ECUI I decided not to have a specific map as the airbox was only to be used if I should encounter noise problems at a speed event. If you have an Emerald that allows 3 different maps then I would get a specific 'airbox' map so you have the option should it be required.