Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sport or R spec suspension V roadsport

mossy7

I've searched high and low for the answer to this one with little luck. What is the difference between sport or R spec and Roadsport or S spec suspension? As far as I can tell it is a rear ARB, adjustable ride height collars and wide track wish bones. Is there no difference to dampers or spring rates as seems to be the case? 

The reason I ask is I have upgraded my roadsport with an ARB and adjustable collars already and had looked at the sports suspension upgrade as the next step and its seems I have most of it already. If that is indeed the case, is it worth going wide track for predominantly road use? 

Thanks. 

Andy

• Area Representative

I'd just drive it Andy.

But you could drive it to one of the showrooms and ask for a couple of test drives so that you might feel the difference!

Neither of my cars are standard (if such a concept really exists for our cars) so I can not help directly.

My only advice would be that I have seen posts occasionally by people who have, in seeking an ever better (read stiffer) set-up for track day thrills, have "ruined" (a word at least one of them used) their car for use on the road.

How you use the car is more important than meeting a specification.

I was waiting for someone to come along with the usual detailed BC answer. On Caterhamparts, ignoring CSR front springs there are two different front spring weights listed.. 150lb  (Front Spring Rover not VVC) and 250lb (Race Front not VVC).  I have an ex Academy, converted to supersport.  Do I have 250lb race springs or 150lb 'normal' springs? Do roadsports have one and SLRs the other?   Dampers on the other hand just seem to vary according to year.

Wide track is and has to be an improvement over narrow track, those that report no difference experienced highlights they have not got a set up to gain any advantage. Wide track allows a more aggressive set up and will give the front end more bite but as always correct geometry dependent otherwise it's a waste of time. Spring rates are so subjective, individual preference, use of car and style of driving are factors, as such there is no 'rule of thumb'

Best advice I could offer is experiment, have a go and if you go wide track make geometry adjustments in castor, camber, rates and ride height accordingly.