Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Torque and head bolts on a Mini

abbot

I am currently working on my Mini project and rebuilding the engine.

I have already had one disaster as had a brain fart in setting my big torque wrench and sheared a stud flush with the top of teh block.  Nightmare to remove.

So yesterday I was back to the point of doing up the head bolts.

Did the initial stage at a low level then went to the next step and all was looking good however when i went to the final torque the nut just kept turning without any increased resistance and it was uncomfortably past the point where I would expect a click.

So I think some thing is really wrong and almost certainly will have to take the head off and get new bolts and head gasket again.

The only thing I can think of is that the studs may not have been oil free and that prevented the nuts from achieving the torque.

Anything else to be aware of before I go at it again?

Wow thanks Elie,  I was about to reply "I know what the torque should be" but looking at the dat ain that chart the Torque is a about 10 Ibs/ft lower than what it says in my Haynes manual. 

Will now go off to my Mini forum and ask some question there.

Rover 76-89 factory manual says 40 lb/ft for "emmissions control engine" (the one with air injection into the cylinder head), which is probably why Minimania have that value in their chart as I think it was an American market engine. 

The factory manual states 50lb/ft for all other 850/1000/1100/1275 engines.

Tighten in sequence to 50% torque, then in sequence again to full torque. 

If you'd like a link to these manuals let me know and I'll BM you one, they are a bit more technical than the Haynes ones.