Click here if you are having website access problems ×

AP Rear Brakes and Spot handbrake caliper...

Ian Mackenzie

jigsawhandbrake1001.JPG.d332ab6890c5e5cd04f14dc541f6c8ef.JPG

Would not recommend ,had to double up on the return spring alter the hand brake lever ratio still a crap design possibly why Hispec don't market now. I have not evaluated other designs / manufactures .( other Hi Spec design or Willwood ) Just looking at pad material coefficient of friction to increase brake effisiency . If you go Hi Spec watch out for the pad retaining screw working loose.

Hi Jigsaw, I have just installed the new Hi Spec caliper and it's nothing like yours, it's on their website take a look if your interested. The spring return and retaining screw issues have clearly been addressed. You have to be prepared to make up bracketry for these calipers as they've not created a Caterham specific kit 

Hi Pendennis, Ian,

Yes that looks like the original caliper that my type , which is no longer on the website was supposed to replace.

The major issues :- the return spring / cable, when cornering  would pull or push on the cable  putting the pad in contact  the disc . The standard spring return was not sufficient to return the calipers to there stops despite buying the Hi spec cables. Pulling on the hand brake would not even stop the car rolling off the trailer hence altering the hand brake lever ratio to apply more pad load. The pads are circular and held in place by central 4 or 5 mm hexagonal screw which worked loose after no more than 1000 miles scoring the disc.

I mounted the caliper on a plate that  comes off 2 of the hub mounting  bolts

Dave

• 1 year later...