Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.5kg 10Ah LiFePo4 Battery including Seven Cover

Daniel French

This was the particular point in the article that I was referring to, how are you supposed to stop it charging if on a long journey?

Alan

At this point, the charge should be disconnected but the topping charge continues while driving. Li-phosphate is tolerant to some overcharge; however, keeping the voltage at 14.40V for a prolonged time, as most vehicles do on a long drive, could stress Li-phosphate.

This was the particular point in the article that I was referring to, how are you supposed to stop it charging if on a long journey?

You can't.  However, as far as I can see, 14.4v for four cells is considered a mild overcharge so while it's not ideal for the longevity of the cells, it's not really going to do them any harm. Sources vary as to whether the maximum charge voltage is 3.5v per cell (=14v total) or 3.6 (14.4) or even 3.65 (14.6). And apparently the cells can usually manage up to 4.2v (16.8) without serious damage.

It would seem to be worth while checking your alternator/voltage regulator output if you get one of these. If it's providing a bit more than the typical 14.4v it's not going to be good for the battery.

I've been running a Lithium battery for nearly a year now, having convinced myself that the point had come to stop theorizing and to just give it a try. All I can say is that it works for me, cranking my XFlow better than the old lead acid batteries and it survived several accidental (caused by a wiring fault) complete discharges. I've never bothered with a special Lithium battery charger, but the XFlow does have the advantage of no battery drain when the ignition is off. The weight saving per pound spent is unbeatable, but then again I only spent £160.