Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weber 40 DCOE`s Stumbling/bogging down

Martym

Trying to gain info on what is main cause of bogging down ? my car runs ok & will rev fine on smooth moderate peddle pressing. If at lowish revs I press throttle down quickly, the engine bogs/dies.

My initial thoughts are lack of fuel but have read poss over fueling

Filters are new, jets are clean, carbs are balanced & idle mixture adjusted, When I got car it had factory Caterham fitted jets which I have read run it rich & was the case. Have leaned idle jets & put a more appropriate ET`s in. I am sure it still bogged down with orig set up,as I think it did it when entering where I live,

The metering hole in the accelerator pump jet has to be large enough to remove any hesitation or stumble caused by the lean condition created by suddenly opening the throttle plates (butterfly valves) at low RPM. Too large a jet will cause a "bogging down" of the engine from too much raw fuel.

The jets are numbered for their hole size in hundredths of a millimetre and are in five hundredths of a millimetre steps (i.e. 35, 40, 45, 50).

Think I will try 35 pump jets current ones are 45 & have read in here a few saying they were told to use 35`s....

I can't be sure that you don't have other issues, but 35 jets are far more suited than 45 jets. I have never managed to understand why so many engines are fitted with grossly oversized pump jets; it's probably the most common issue I came across and all it gives you is a fluffy and hesitant throttle response with no discernable benefit anywhere else.

It's difficult to tell for certain from the video, but it's possible that your carbs would benefit from balancing, adjustment of idle mixture etc.

I have an alternative jetting chart that I seem to recall worked better than std.

Choke 40mm
Main 115
Air  135
Emulsion tube  F7
Slow run  50F9
Pump  35

You may have some of this fitted already, but in particular the standard slow run, pump and air jets were way off target.

if it helps my 1.8 silvertop has

33mm chokes, mains 135, 50F9 idle, air 1.6  - runs a dream

My Xflow was exactly the same except 45F9 idle, run well. Initially the xflow bogged down but after a few years sorted it with tuning of carbs and aldon mapped dizzy.