Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inertial fuel cutoff switch

TomGaval

So on my third session of the day at the track on Friday, on the second lap, while at about 100mph and beginning to brake for a right hand turn, I feel the power cut off.  Still had the paddle shifters working, but no throttle response.  I drive off into the infield and come to rest next to a flag station.  I tried to restart the car, with no success.  Power on, the car would crank but not start. 

I was towed back into the paddock after the session ended.  I apparently pulled far enough off the track and into an area that was out the way so they kept the session running for the remaining 20 plus minutes. 

Back in the Paddock, Croc and Simon, two other caterham owners, both suggested that the inertial fuel cut off switch may be the culprit and when I pushed it to reset, it clicked and I was able to start the car and it ran fine in the paddock.

I never had an issue with it before and I don't think I hit any curbs.  So is this an issue that I should address with a new part or is it TADTS?     If replacing, is this a caterham part, or one I can source here in the states from a ford or Jaguar as I've seen ones that look similar.  Thanks   Tom

There's not really much to go wrong with them I think.  You can choose to run without on by linking the two wires in the plug that connects to it though this does mean fuel will continue pumping in a shunt.

You can re-locate it to the cockpit so you can press it whilst in the driving seat or simply replace it and hope it was indeed faulty.

I've only once had one trip when taking too much kerb at Brands.  As to where they are sourced from sorry I don't know.  Unlikely to be a Caterham specific part though.

Mine has tripped twice in eight years.  The first was after bumping across a grass car park at the Goodwood Revival, and the second was after hitting an unmarked ramp, about 2" high, at the exit from some road resurfacing works. 

Placing the unit within reach of the driver sounds like a neat solution.

JV

Tom: My switch has tripped 5 or 6 times for no good reason. A new one from Ford for the Zetec engine was $82.00. It worked for about a week and then went crackerdog. I amputated the thing and now no more problems.

Thanks Guys,  I reset it last week and will be doing another track day this Saturday, so I'll see how it does and hope that I don't spend another session in the infield and have to be towed in again.

Rex, if you are in the southeastern part of Pa, you should join us at NJMP.  Tom

Tom: I use that name on Blatchat (one of our favorite golden retrievers), but you may remember that my name is really Jim Schnure and you were kind enough to invite me to NJMP a few years ago. I drove down in my 2002 SV and had a great time with all you guys. Isn't it sad about Hillary?

Jim....oh no! Dont bring up politics on a public forum to Tom!  *yikes*   We will never stop Tom beating his chest now on his soap box  *soapbox* 

Then again I think you probably saw my handwork in political stickers all over his Caterham that day at NJMP!  *hehe*  *getmecoat*  

Hi Jim.  I remember you and your drive across Pa to NJMP.  It was your first time ever on track.  Our group is a little bigger now with up to 20 sevens on track now.  I think it was 12 when you were there.

Hope all is well with you and your Caterham.  You are still welcome to join in on the fun on or off track.

Tom

PS,  no gloating from me Croc.  *woohoo*    Tom