Click here if you are having website access problems ×

shimming a concentric slave cylinder?

Molecular--Bob

Hi All

Is there a standard way of determining what if any shims are required to set up the concentric ford slave cylinder with a Titan flywheel /AP clutch combo on a duratec type 9 gearbox?

And in relation to this does anyone have a picture of how the Caterham supplied pedal stop fits into the pedal box?

Thanks in advance

Ian B.

Not the same set up on mine, but I used a vernier to measure.

The standard slave concentric slave cylinder, assuming it's the V6 version has about 11mm travel in total if that helps, and if a new clutch, then with wear the fingers will move circa 1-2mm outwards as the friction plate thickness decreases...

So with everything bolted up I'd want 2-3mm inward travel remaining on the slave.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Ian

• 1 month later...

These CSC's are designed to run in constant light contact with the clutch cover fingers, failure to do so can result in the cylinder over extending at which point the clutch goes tits up !

CC offer 2 possibly 3 different thicknesses of the mounting plate that sits between the bellhousing and CSC, either they too have had problems of the bellhousing has changed, I did mail CC on the website a while back for fitment clarification on these but I've not heard back yet. 

ISTR theres a light spring to maintain the contact then a weightier one for the cylinder return - we're it warmer I'd go and check in the garage  *blah*

Part of it is to allow for clutch wear, skimmed fly wheels and manufacturing tolerances, they all add up to a system that needs building to fit, rather than just being a one size fits all part. I have been advised by RWD motorsport to build it such that all but 3mm of the available cylinder travel is used in the static build.