Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Class 2/3 power trorque update post lunch

david nelson

As you say in past and I know the car your talking about however, to be fair to the Comp Sec at the time they sold the car and did not return to the championship.

If you want clarification on cams then perhaps you should have submitted a proposal along the lines of Supersport cams or equivalent such as the Piper 633.  

My 0.02p, as someone who has competed and lost in several class 2 K series variants...

1. Unported 1.6K 633 cams, verniers, Supersport ECU: Slightly slower than some through speed traps, but not by much.
2. As above, ported DVA head: A little faster, but not by as much as I'd hoped.
3. Standard 1.8K Supersport, verniers (thanks Mike). Approx. same speed and times as 2 (which was disappointing, as Mike was much faster with it!). The expected "more torque/less power" wasn't noticeable.
4. 1.8 K, 633 cams, verniers, Z&F ECU. Same as 3. I went a little faster around the corners in 2014, but this was down to confidence and better AD08 tyres.

My conclusion: No noticeable difference in times between 1.8 and ported 1.6, or supersport/633 cams.

As I'll be "resting" for a while, I can reveal the secrets to me getting better times:

1. Driving faster. Simple. Its all in your head.
2. Not turning up at the start line in a grumpy mood, tired, hungover, missing keys, half frozen etc. (turning up at the start line busting for a pee has worked, but not sure I'd recommend it)
3. Having the best tyres available. Not 5 year old worn out "lucky" tyres.
4. Use of a magic hat. Just don't let anyone else wear it.

In class 2 we had 2016 wins (I think) for 1.8Ks, Ported 1.6Ks, Zetecs, Sigmas.
I think that's pretty healthy!

Alan

thanks for your post. It highlight the confusion re cams. My understanding was 1.8 with only supersport cams. When did the 633 cam get allowed?

"I bought a pair of Piper 633 cams as an equivalent to SS cams. Only after I measured a pair of SS cams three or four years ago, did I realise the advantage 633's give (particularly with a ported head). 633's have 10mm of lift and 264° of duration. The SS cams that I've just fitted to my engine have only 9.3mm of lift, and pretty much the same duration as the 633's"

david

David, I bought them years ago because they were cheap, Caterham didn't have any Supersport cams for sale,  and was advised they very close to the Supersport profile and would work with the standard ECU. At the time, I was told they were "almost as good". Were there two variants of Supersport cam?

I checked the regs and with the comp sec that they were legal.

More importantly, when did two way adjustable dampers become legal in class 2?  *tongue*

[Edit: I have no issue with 2 way dampers in class 2. That was an unnecessary rule. And I need all the excuses for not winning I can get]

I would like to thank Chris for the clarification of the lunch yesterday. I was quite surprised to find that the Sigma engines had open ECU's and could use throttle bodies. This allows them to maxamise power. This was definite surprise to me. It does make the discussion with regards to K-series as somewhat silly in terms of the restrictions that allowed. It's obvious that you can produce a super slick engine in class  2/3 engine and current regs and look forward to seeing whether equalisation across the engine class will be allowed.

Also thank Chris for the clarification on what standard supersport means. My understanding the standard 1.8 supersport was,  a standard engine with standard cams. It it would appear that it should just be 1800 K series. I'm sure that is the Reg had lost for words standard super sport  I for one would of understood the rags and read them differently. 

I look forward to hearing of any changes to the regulations and the beginning of the fettling  season shall begin 

Just to clarify, Sigma's have to be allowed throttle bodies in 2&3 because the 150 Sigma engine comes with them fitted.  The 140 may not, but that spec came after Sigmas were introduced to the championship I believe. 

Chris Thanks for the conformation re supersport .

Oli: Its the open ECU so the engine can be mapped. This is not allowed for the K series engines. It looks as if there are no restrictions on Sigma engines. you can have any Cam, port the head, run any induction and program your ecu 

David  

I am with Oli there is more to sprinting than top end power and you can be fast in a straight line but unless your car set up is good, so you can brake and maximise your apex speed you will not succeed. The biggest gains to be made are in driver ability and I would spend my money on driver training as this is the area for the biggest gains. There have been plenty of examples where drivers throw the cheque book at the car and then are disappointed that they are not competitive. There are also numerous examples where the car with less power regularly beats the more powerful.

I AGREE WITH MARK (OMG)

"I am with Oli there is more to sprinting than top end power and you can be fast in a straight line but unless your car set up is good, so you can brake and maximise your apex speed you will not succeed. The biggest gains to be made are in driver ability and I would spend my money on driver training as this is the area for the biggest gains. There have been plenty of examples where drivers throw the cheque book at the car and then are disappointed that they are not competitive. There are also numerous examples where the car with less power regularly beats the more powerful."

If you are just starting sprinting do not spend loads of money on engine power at first. Yes we have seen some who have got faster with more power, but its an art and a skill to be fast. 

The discussion is about me, I am getting slower as I get older and would like the extra 13.5 BHP to help me out. Slow reactions, mind wandering off, needed a track map to remember the direction to go. I like the idea of weight reduction but as i get older the weight just pills on.

David