Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC rear cam pulley has come off.

Mechanical Moz

I assume it's terminal? The bolt on the exhaust pulley has come loose (at 70mph in 5th) so I'm guessing the inlet valves for cylinders 3 & 4 will have met the pistons. I changed the belts 18 months ago, can't remember which rear pulley I took off though. 

Stupid car is only just back on the road after the gearbox went at Cadwell, now the engine has gone just before Anglesey. *cry*

I think you will have to work on the basis that there has been contact and strip the head off for I inspection at the very least. I'd you've dropped a valve head it might be a mess but if you've just bent the valves it might be a relatively easy fix. Hope it's not too bad for you.

Having looked through the engine manual I'm pretty sure it was the inlet pulley I took off to change the belt. I'm also pretty sure I used Loctite 243 and there's none on the exhaust pulley bolt. I definitely torqued up as per the manual. 

There's no visible damage to the piston crowns through the plug holes and the engine turns over OK by hand so the valves must still be in one piece, it's just whether or not they're bent. I'm tempted to put it back together,  do a compression test and pray for a miracle. 

To no great surprise it didn't work.  The engine won't even start, I did get it to run very briefly by cranking it for ages and holding the throttle wide open but it sounded really bad and absolutely reeks of fuel.  Tried again only to be treated to a huge backfire through the inlet.  Burnt injectors maybe?

I'm now 100% certain I didn't take the exhaust pulley off when I changed the belts as the tool I made to hold the pulley only fitted the inlet.

I'll take the head off if and when I decide I ever want to clap eyes on it again, right now I could just push it in a river.  *grumpy*

Before taking head off, might be worth taking the cam cover off and having a good look at the cams. The rear cam has the trigger for the cam sensor. If the cam has been subjected to shock or vibration I'm wondering if that has been damaged? You would also see if all the cams are rotating as expected and if the valve timing looks about right.