Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Different tyres front and rear

JonL

It is normal/acceptable to run different tyres front and rear? I currently have CR500 all round, but the rears are close to the wear bars, and as I am off to Anglesey at the end of the month for a track day, I don't fancy driving back on them. As was thinking of going for a pair of ZZS at the rear until the fronts need changing too.

Comments?

Jon

Those who sell tyres will tell you it is a 'nono' most of us who have to pay for them and the law say differently.

A club sprint championship winner ran radial on one axle and xply on the other at a track day and reported no issues. The law does NOT like this scenario.

IIRC the law disallows mixing of crossply and radial on the same axle. Running different tyres front to rear is not a problem in my opinion provided that you realise that you will be changing the handling characteristics. This may not change much but you should be aware of it.

We happily change handling characteristics on our cars with damper settings and anti roll bars so you would be doing nothing different ....

I always run different tyres front and rear on my daily tin top.  I do this intentionally because I wasn't happy with the handling balance. For lack of any other adjustments, this was the easiest way to address that. No different to running different brake pads front and rear.

I dont see the problem with intentionally running different tyres.  As long as its planned for a reason and not just "whatever the garage had in stock" when it comes time to change.

If you run same size rims front and back you could choose to put the new tyres on the front for the time being for some nice lively tail-happy handling *rotate*    Or keep them on the back for security - probably with a noticeable increase in understeer until you replace the fronts.

Ahhh Anglesey ...

There is a story that a few might remember ...

Having a moment of trying to save money I fitted new front tyres a left the rears as worn ... It certainly changed the handling ....

The result being a 360 Spin at Church at +100mph ... So do be aware

The tyres will have different grip levels and therefore ultimate handling will be effected (+/-)

Good luck