Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie Question - adjusting pedals

AndrewE

Hi all I couldn't find a simple guide to adjusting pedals so any help appreciated

Clutch pedal is sitting too high/too near seat so my hand hits my leg, as leg is slightly too bent when other pedals are the right distance. I want to move it away a bit - is it as simple as using the two lock nuts forward of the pedal box cover or will that change bite point?

Also if I need/want to how do I adjust the brake and accelerator pedal. It looks like my S3 1997 chassis has three pivot holes and i assume both pedals must pivot on same hole

Finally i am not that impressed by the way the throttle cable sits in the pedal - just a slot at the top which means fraying cables

Have you got the appropriate Assembly Guide? If not send me a Private Mail with your model and engine.

In order:

• Set the clutch and brake pedals in the right position
  • Then set the throttle pedal, which might involve brute force
  • Adjust the cables if needed, that's when the bite point comes in. There's a trick to doing this for the clutch that avoids wear.

Finally i am not that impressed by the way the throttle cable sits in the pedal - just a slot at the top which means fraying cables

There's a recent discussion in the archives where I suggested some bike bits to avoid this.

Jonathan

On the throttle cable I recently replaced, I made sure it was the metal ferrule(?) end that located In the slot, rather than having that bit shoved down the tube with a 90degree bend in the wire over the slot, which led to my last one fraying and failing. It may mean removing the pedal to pull the slot edges back a bit, but should be doable in situ with needle pliers.

Some people have drilled a hole opposite the slot when using cycle wires, so that you can fix a cable through the shaft, fastened by a screw ferrule, or in emergencies an electric choc block. 

I carry a spare cable and a couple of ferrules in my tool tube spares kit. 

so I tried adjusting the clutch pedal using the infor passed to me by Jonathan, thanks

Also I have changed the Throttle Pedal. In stead of buying a £40 new one I bought a new MGB cable as it has the same ferrule for the throttle body end and is same diameter. I also bough a small solderless nipple for the pedal end, but to make this work I drilled a 2.5 mm dia hole in the back of the pedal tube 

Hopefuly the pics are self explanatory

large_IMG_1982.JPG.2875aa44a27232676d168bf34d01413a.JPGlarge_IMG_1988.JPG.9dfcead1110b510635d4cc68cab41ab8.JPGlarge_IMG_1993.JPG.44d47b250c2a2e9cbf5e1244690c0c59.JPGlarge_IMG_1994.JPG.032d5a77578356f7820fba776d4bff1c.JPG

• 6 months later...