Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooling fan not kicking in

Cookie Monster

K series R300

​At Silverstone yesterday,  in the traffic it nearly overheated.

Turns out that the fan isn't kicking in which has always been reliable to date. Took the two terminals off and connected them and it runs fine so must be the thermo switch in the rad.

Is this part a CC unique part or a standard motor factor part?

Thanks

Thanks to Andrew Revill .... Radiator Fan Thermoswitch

Manufacturer: Bosch

Typical Application: VW & Others

Typical Part Numbers: 823-959-481D (77°C-82°C)

823-959-481E (70°C-75°C)

823-959-481F (87°C-92°C)

823-959-481A (87°C-92°C)

Unfortunately these thermostat switches are prone to failure as they don't like switching the fan motor on and off and the back emf burns the contacts.  Apart from just changing it each time it fails (I got though three), wiring a relay into the circuit overcomes the problem and I've not had one fail for more than ten years since the mod.  I'm pretty sure the topic was covered here a year or so ago so a search of the archives might show something up.

Alternatively it might be possible to achieve the same result by wiring a suitable diode across the switch to snub the back emf spike but I haven't tried it so don't know if it works.

Paul

I had the same problem at Silverstone on satuday and ended up blowing the expansion cap top off. However mine was because of air in the top of the radiator which stops the fan switch seeing the true temp of the water - worth checking before you buy a new one!

Topped up and bled the radiator and all was well with the fan switch - and thanks to Andrew Revill who drove me a cap down to Northampton this morning - top bloke!

AndyH

Unfortunately these thermostat switches are prone to failure as they don't like switching the fan motor on and off and the back emf burns the contacts.  Apart from just changing it each time it fails (I got though three), wiring a relay into the circuit overcomes the problem and I've not had one fail for more than ten years since the mod.  I'm pretty sure the topic was covered here a year or so ago so a search of the archives might show something up.

No luck with search I can only find this http://www.lotus7.club/sites/default/files/images/Docs/Guides/Changing%20a%20radiator%20fan%20control%20switch%20to%20an%20ECU%20controlled%20fan%20with%20manual%20over%20ride%20switch-1.pdf which is not I am looking for.

Anyone can post a guide to attaching a relay please. (And to complicate the matter I have a manual override switch that already has a relay. Hope this won't make adding another relay a complicated task).

Regards

Ahmed