Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel Arch Protection

jimh

I want to protect my rear arches from stones flung off the tyres. I saw someone had stuck self adhesive foam under their arches and this seems like a good idea.

Can anyone tell me what foam works best and any other tips for doing it.

When I built mine in 2001, I used a product called Carlife Rubbercoat - who then seemed to dissappear.

It stunk, cured with moisture, and set in the tin once it was opened.  But when I had to replace the wings 14yrs later due to accident damage, they were still star-crack free after lots of miles on all sorts of roads.  The fronts ones also.

So I really wanted to find something similar to coat the inside of the new ones, so I used rubber roofing repair stuff, Isoflex liquid rubber - again it stinks, cures with moisture, and sets in the tin - but so far, two years later, seems to be doing the same job.

I sprayed a couple of coats of Stoneguard on the inside surface of mine when I built it.  4 years on, no star cracks.  I worked on the basis that the coating simply needs to be just enough to absorb the initial impact of a stone to prevent a star appearing.