Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Heater question, 96 Crossflow

Stridey

OK, I know it's been hot today, over the weekend, but cabin temp seems higher than I remember.

i have recently done some work on the cooling system, (new temperature sensor) 

temp is in the 80-90 degree range on the dials, fan cuts in as it should.

is there anything worth checking on the heater itself...? How does it work? Is there a duct to the cabin that opens when you press the switch that might be open all the time, that's how it feels....or is it only determined by the heater fan switch.

Any idea where I should be looking? 

Stridey, my 96 X/F runs at the same temp, as to the heater I am assuming you have the large flat rectangular  heater matrix, in which case the fan simply recirculates the air in the cockpit, there being no fresh air intake.  There should be a  push /pull heater knob under the dash to the right of the steering column, this operates (on/off) the flow valve on your heater water feed.

Couldn't see a cable, so lifted the heater off, 4 screws and fashioned 3 blanking plates out of cardboard and re-fitted. Without wanting to tempt fate I hope I do t need the heater for a few months anyway. 

Personally, having had the old flat type recirculationg air heater I would just bin it really, it weighs a ton and is not that effective IMHO. Ours went some 8 years ago and i can honestly say we've never missed even at the top of the Stelvio last year.

Stelvio.jpg.34a4aea28802c6a594bfb53222b72e73.jpg

In its place is a small tool box for carrying a few tools and spares when touring.

Toolbox.JPG.2ff9b007e5d5e5fc6866ca8ab603a7f2.JPG

Aeroscreens... I'd tend to agree, il, leave it in this winter and decide... as I had a hot running xflow, used in London I had on occasion used the heater to be an emergency cooler as the temp crept up, but now I think I've fixed the hot running with the bigger 11" fan ( the 9" was struggling and there is an oil cooler in front of the rad too)... New thermostat and a really good fill of coolant with no air locks.

I'm thinking the more efficient cooling and freer flowing hot water was getting to the heater rads better, thus being hotter all the time, then creeping into the cabin even when the heater switch was off. 

If my engine temps remain at a sensible level I'll think about removing it, but I have used it on early starts in the winter...we'll see.

Thanks for tips and advice!

• Area Representative

My '96 era Crossflow has a heater and I do use it in the winter (but never a hood). In the summer, when I switch the fan on, there is still heat in the blown air despite the coolant flow being turned off at the bypass. This is with the "new" version of the heater http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=329  (well I have got through the original which was much the same and have this version now).

The heater in my newly acquired 97 Xflo has been taken out I think the fan is seized. I was thinking of putting it back in to increase the cooling capacity. I have only an electric cooling fan.....or put a belt driven engine cooling fan on to assist. Advice please.

• Area Representative

Hi Baz

Good to hear from you. You can get just the fan from Caterham Cars (possibly directly from Clayton Classics too).

As an all year driver, like you, the alternatives, in my opinion, are heater or heated seats. In many ways I think the latter would be better if one could achieve this at reasonable cost.  I used some very cheap heated seat covers (£20/pair) which lasted a season. I'd like to find a longer lasting solution. I wonder if the manufacturer of the tillet seat liners could produce something? I might ask before winter draws on (not an issue on this HOT day).