Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering column removal - help needed!

richd13

Having to replace the steering column upper due to a manufacturing defect on the wheel boss threads...

However, I can't seem to pull it out of the dash with the upper bush in the way - is there a trick to getting that rubber bush out?

Thanks,

Rich

• Area Representative

Assume you have steering lock. Make sure it is unlocked and then use a ratchet strap from roll bar to steering wheel. It will also pull out the the upper bush which will probably need replacing  

Jonathan - I can slide the steering column up as far as the steering lock part contacting the bush, but the bush stops it going any further. I've attempted to get some rubber lubricant down the side of the rubber part of the bush but not sure how successful that's been.

Paul - the defect on the column means I can't actually attach the steering wheel, so wouldn't have anything to pull on with the ratchet straps! 

Rich

If the column is scrap, try some mole clamps (or any other clamp) on the column and attach the strap to that. If that fails. drill  hole at 90 degrees through the column and insert a bar to pull on.

Got there! Managed to find a nut that almost fit the threads and wedged it on with a couple of ring spanners behind to pull on, sat in the seat and gave it everything! 

Paul you were correct, I will need a new bush...

Thanks for your help guys!