Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Inner rad cowling SV Duratech

Mucus72

woke up this morning keen to get the cooling pipe work and radiator / oil cooler sorted before having to leave for a flight this afternoon as I'm away with work for a while. 

I seem to be having the same problem as in this build and blog post: http://caterham420r.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/day-8-trying-to-fit-radiator.htm ( I'm on iPad in garage and can't paste the link properly)

in effect the instructions are rubbish, I have no idea which mounting bolts/nuts/washers to use for the SV width reducing mounting plates. 

But worse than that, I have an rear/inner cowling 36C028A for Sigma >2006 and the slots cut in it to allow for the ARB to pass through are not big enough. 

There are a couple of other SV Duratech builds going on at the moment, and many who have a R400/420R set up. Please can anyone tell me if there is a specific inner cowling for our config?

thanks

marcus

I'm away at the moment so can't check exactly but from memory the ARB goes through cut outs on the brackets not the cowl. 

The rubber mounts go on the brackets then the cowl and rad into those. 

M6 bolts with spring washers hold the brackets to chassis then M8 nuts, not nylocs for obvious reasons, and spring+ flat washers on either end of the rubber mounts.

All from memory, may be wrong  

Thinking further the ARB does go through the cowl too, you have to have it in place before ARB fitted I think. 

Again from memory I think I had to relieve either the slots or the holes that mount it to the rubber bushes

I'll post some pics when I get home Wednesday, I'm sure I have some good ones of this.  

Thanks Scott! Dan, who is building te French racing blue SV 420R at the moment has just posted some photos on the FaceBook page and I can see that he has used a cone cutter to enlarge the slot into a circle in the rear cowling. It all makes sense I think now, apart from I have to buy yet another tool!

Hope these help. I remember now that the slots in the cowl were about right or needed minor dremelling, but you can see the size they were in these images.

M6 setscrew and nyloc hold the brackets on and M8 plain, as I said, for the rubber mounts. 

If these images are hard to see, message me with you e mail and ill send you the originals.

Also, the first image was to demo to CC that they'd sent me too long rubber mounts, the correct ones are shown in the other images.

Regards

Peter Scott

medium_IMG_1209.JPG.c55ad2c3fb460ef56074696b4bf1e616.JPG

IMG_1224.JPG.d4cb94677c6de9dc1dbe2fddcb1b39b8.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG.cf96714946a62afdfcf4264b697b38c7.JPG

this is great Peter thanks - really useful to get feedback on the fixings to use, as its simply not documented.

Appreciate your help, and sorry I called (and may keep calling) you Scott....its your alias confusing me.

Marcus