Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tacho warning lights

dave_h34

Daft question time: I have a 2009 Duratec SV (with RBTB but i don't think this makes any difference), which warning symbols should light up when I turn to ignition 2? I get a red lightning symbol but both the engine fault and brake/handbrake symbols don't light. Is this correct?

Thanks

Just checked that out - the hand brake light doesn't light automatically but it does if I press the 'brake test' rocker switch. It doesn't come on with the use of the handbrake either. Is that correct? Wrt the engine fault warning light, is it normal for that not to light then?

Here is how I understand it, partly in answer to dave_h34 and partly for future reference...

Assuming you have a standard dash on a 2009 car, what you've got is what should happen. No handbrake light on UK cars of your type/age (by which I probably mean Sigma/Duratec cars onwards up to when the new dashboards came in. 2013/4-ish?). 

In ignition position II you should just get a 'lightning' or 'battery' (probably the former on your car) symbol that extinguishes when the engine starts. If it doesn't it means there is no charge from the alternator. If it starts flickering when driving that is usually an indicator of alternator belt slipping. Obviously, if it comes on permanently it probably means your alternator has just died!

If you look carefully in bright sunshine, or with a torch, at the little black panel on the tacho, you'll see (left-right) -

- 'engine' symbol: May/or may not indicate engine fault codes on cars of this period.

- 'lightning'/'battery' symbol: as described above.

- 'handbrake' symbol: only used on the EU4 spec. export on cars of this period (and also CSRs). A few cars of this period also have this occasionally flickering dimly due to a very minor electrical issue. Nothing to worry about.

On later/current cars the lights in the black panel all work as you would expect:

- 'engine' symbol: comes on if an engine fault code is set in the ECU. Can be read with a OBD reader.

- 'lightning'/'battery' symbol: not charging/alternator fault etc.

- 'handbrake' symbol: comes on when the handbrake is applied or the brake fluid reservoir is low.