Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake cable route SV.

mathubbard

I took the boot board off my 2010 SV and noticed that the RHS handbrake cable was slightly rubbing on the driveshafts. I've played around with various positions but it always seems to end up touching something e.g. the brake pipe 't' piece attached to the de-dion tube. Is there a correct way to mount the cable so it's in free space?

Thanks.

xlarge_svbrakecable.JPG.b733f23817367e7b3dfcc59af7d696da.JPG

Mine's S3 rather than SV, but I think the RHS cable routing is the same (at least, for cars with the adjuster on the LHS). 

I had the same trouble as you.  I ended up tying back the top of the cable to the locking tab on the diff, and fitting a thick rubber sleeve over the cable where it passes the brake-pipe T-piece.

In case it helps, the Assembly Guide shows this routing:

HandbrakeroutingRHS.jpg.768e200f5f607f362cb263bc21b62068.jpg

JV

Later manuals seem to suggest that the cable is mounted to the diagonal chassis member and mounted using double 'p' clips. The earlier manuals suggest using cable ties to the 'A' frame member. I understand that you can't cable tie the handbrake cable for the SVA test. I've reverted it back to the cable tie variant and I think it now misses everything, and given the limited suspension travel of a 7, there shouldn't be any problems.

I can't decide whether this is part of the fun of owning a Caterham, or whether I'd be happier with something where things just work. For a few quid, some sensible brackets could have been provided by Caterham.

Thanks, Mat.

I think the best option is to attach the lower loop of the RHS cable to the diagonal chassis rail adjacent to the A-frame (not to the A-frame itself!) using a couple of cable ties.  I found it useful to use the redundant plastic sleeve that comes with the cable as a pad between the two -- helps to avoid damage to the chassis rail.

I'm not aware that the Assembly Guide ever said to attach the cable to the A-frame, or that SVA/IVA requires other than cable ties.  Also (AFAIK), the Assembly Guides all say to use cable ties (with both Ford and BMW diffs) -- I've not come across any reference to P-clips.  But I may well be out of date, so could you say where you read something to the contrary?

JV 

http://caterhamsevenbuild.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/day-18-lads-brakes-clutch-hubs.html

('p' clips IVA reference)

Google "handbrake cable 'p' clips caterham 7" for various contradicting references to how it should be done. The BMW diff seems to have a carrier with a suitable clipping point that the Ford diff doesn't have.

The Caterham diagram pictured above shows the cable tied to the 'A' frame - item number 3.

Thanks for the pointers, Mat. 

I confess to being even more confused now.  I've just browsed CC's Assembly Guides and IVA guidance. Nowhere does it say that P-clips should be used to attach the handbrake cable.  Yet the build blog you quote clearly says it's now an IVA requirement, and Grubbster's build diary states specifically that this is a Nottingham IVA requirement. So, is this now a general IVA requirement, or does it depend on which IVA station you happen to use?   

Regarding attaching the handbrake cable to the A-frame (rather than to the adjacent chassis diagonal), even CC's own guidance is contradictory. 

Their latest AG (Feb 2015) says:

"The two ends of the handbrake cable emerge from the rear of the transmission tunnel rearwards. Each end of the handbrake cable should be routed over the respective driveshaft then turned through 180[deg] under the driveshaft and secured to the chassis diagonals, using cable ties, just outboard of the 'A' frame."

Yet their latest IVA checklist (Jan 2015) says:

"Ensure that the handbrake cable is not fouling or running on anything. Secure with cable ties if necessary…...by cable tying it to the A-frame",  

with this helpful illustration:

HandbrakecabletoAframeLHS.jpg.8a670f67422391c1428843bc1c58fc33.jpg

I suppose each method has its limitation.  Chassis attachment means that the cable will flex between caliper and chassis as the A-frame moves up and down, whereas A-frame attachment means that the cable flexes between the A-frame and the rear tunnel mounting.  In my view, the former is preferable as it's easier to keep the cable well clear of the driveshaft.

JV