Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Corner Weight Scales

Slipper man

I ended up taking my car to Andy Jupp at PGM. What a nice guy! And he seems to know what he is doing. He has a great deal of equipment, including a computerised alignment system that measures all the parameters simultaneously. My car was miles out, with virtually all parameters, front and rear, being quite a long way from the ideal settings. The corner weights were set first, then the rear cambers and toe. I hadn't realised how these could be adjusted (by putting the appropriate shims behind the de dion ears). Then the front was set up, though as it turned out with insufficient (1.5deg) camber, which was rectified later (see below).

I took the car to Spa, and it really was transformed. It took a while to reach what felt like the optimal settings for the new Nitron dampers, but in rain and sun the car was vastly improved. Until it decided it would rather go straight on at Blachimont... 

That didn't cause the type of drama it would have done in the past, now that there are acres of tarmac run-off, so I got the car on the correct black bit without damage. On the next straight I found the steering was no longer pointing the right way and back in the pits I discovered that the top ball joint had failed, so that was the end of my day. It was 4:00pm anyway, so I would only have done a few more laps, so it wasn't a disaster.

So, back to Andy (after fitting the new top joints) for a quick check of the alignment, and dialling in a bit more front camber, and all is prepared for the next outing at Brno with Bookatrack.

All in all, the present experience certainly confirms that for circuit use, the best "upgrades" you can do concern getting the suspension right, and a set of good tyres.

"it's been rather quiet from ECK!"

Does your definition of Yorkshireman mean primary residence or county of birth? .... I might only qualify on the former!

Have to say those new wheels are looking good ... Next upgrade over the winter as I'm sure they'll make the car go even quicker ... If only in the pits