Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Suspension noise with braking

glasgow

Recently done some work in the car. A) increased the height of the suspension, B) cut off a couple of mm of rear dedion tube C) replaced brake pads. 

Now with braking "hard" from 40-50 to 20-10mph I hear a noise at the passenger rear side. Best described as two spanners clanging. 

Had a look under the car and everything looks in place and nothing appears to be hitting or loose. I wonder if someone can help please. Thank you

Ahmed

Interesting about the brake, because the reason I changes the brake pads is the rear brake locking first. It is mainly the passengers side rear. Changed the front to Mintix 1144, not helped. Changed also the rear to uprated rear pads slightly helping but still looks like the same corner always brake first. But again this would not explain the banging noise, would it?

Cable of hand brake does some contact with chassis but not the reason for the loud bang

Exhaust is ok

There is an observation which I am not sure how significant. The loud bang is very obvious (as in the audio record) when the car has not been driven for good few hours. Then it gets less obvious with the number of the harsh braking and after 6-7 brakes you would still here it but with difficulty. Leave the car for a few hours and the bang is loud again.

Agreed.

How about getting it up on stands? Usual precautions. Wheels off and inspect the pads, shims, callipers etc and check for marks on the discs. Then wheels on and spin the wheels while someone else applies the brakes. Any catching or strange noises as they do that?

Why did you have to fettle the de Dion tube?

Jonathan

Brake is fine, exhaust is fine, dedion tube needed cutting because of new 13X8" wheels.

Car went to Kenney Brown and he had a good check and nothing found. Some minor play in the transverse horizontal arms in the rear suspensions but not to the degree that explain the noise. Kenny's view it is non mechanical and could be something may be inside the chassis tube but nothing of worry.

Mystery

When you were grinding the de Dion, did you remove the bolted-on ear and the little aluminium cover plate over the end of the tube? Just wondering if while working you could have put anything down (like a spanner) in the open end of the tube then missed it on reassembly, sealing it into the tube where it is now rattling around?