Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mintex M1144 - wrong bedding in procedure

glasgow

Put new Mintex M1144 front pads today (in order to solve a problem of rear wheel barke lock). I didn't change the original discs but grit them with number 80 to remove the coating from the old pads  (standard pads)

I then took the car for a drive and did about 20 emergency brakes. After I came home I did some reading and I realised emergency braking soon after installing new pads are not recommended (I know I should have done the home work before I drive the car).

Do I need now to grit the discs again in order to get an even transfer film on the disc or just do moderate braking for the next few hundred miles?

Thank you

Ahmed

There will be several opinions on this, depending who you talk to and what they use their car for.

My opinion: I love 1144s and your method is what I do; plenty of hard applications from the off but without completely stopping the car. My car isn't road-legal, so I just stomp on the brakes (as long as no one is too close behind me) until they start to get green fade and stink, and then continue driving for a lap or so to let them cool before stopping completely.

Stop worrying and just drive the thing!

1. Clean discs with brake cleaner or other solvent.
2.  Apply  3 to 4 light applications of the brake from 30mph down to 0mph
then......
M1144:    6 / 7  steady applications 70mph down to 30mph
FINALLY....  Leave to cool as long as possible ( They now work from cold )
NOTE: DONT LEFT FOOT BRAKE !   &  DONT LOCK-UP THE BRAKES

Is what i did