Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 K noise

ziplobb

I have had a looksey on here and the topic seems to be covered to a point but practically how low can I expect to get ?  I am interested in opinions and the set ups that other owners have and specific facts about what parts (induction or exhaust ) will make significant noise reductions. I wish to track the car and would like to know what experiences others have had ? thanks Jai

To be able to get on track you are most likely to address both the induction and exhaust if they are standard i.e. Foam filter and standard R500 exhaust. Most popular is an airbox for the induction and something like a 7" Raceco can for the exhaust. (Blatent plug! ) I've currently got a nearly new Raceco titanium 7"exhaust with a decat pipe for sale at the moment that was on my R500K

image_26.jpeg.cded32b407b4c8b50919d0898bb0f732.jpeg

yes Raceco is mentioned but what sort of reduction is realistic ? the car is around 105db now so fit for fuc all really - i need less than 100 db and dare I say it a  day at Goodwood (falls over laughing whilst still consuming last glass from current bottle) would be nice ...

You had that on the green car ? what air box did you run ?

Ok thats what I want to hear them - I have a scouse on my current car but that is on jenveys - your car looked good but i did not want to pay 7s and C £2.5 k more than you were selling it for so I bought another one ! - how much do you want for the exhaust and will you courier it ?

I have a 2001 R500 and it was incredibly loud from new, even when the silencer was newly packed. It was once measured at 107 db AT DRIVE BY!! I bought the Caterham airbox, which made a big difference to the induction noise. I also bought a rear-exit system from Caterham, which used the standard type main silencer, but one which had an exit that went under the car and connected to another silencer under the back of the car. With all that in place it was measured at (IIRC) 93db at Goodwood. It might have been 95, but it is certainly good for any trackday you would come across. The only problem is that the silencing takes the edge off the performance - it is noticeably slower over the last 500 RPM. It is annoying, but it does at least mean that you can still go out and play.

Thanks for the info chaps - seems there maybe a bit of trial and error here - don't mind loosing a bit of power - a load of us from the Island normally hire Goodwood once a year so thats my major concern but even Brands were 'on it' when we went in February.  Maybe some trial  and error and I think if I can lay my hands on a used rear exit system as well it will be another feather in the cap - Titanium YHM re the Raceco - thanks Jai

If you are sensible at Bedford, you can still use an R500K there to massive potential. Mine's not a legit R500, but for what it's worth, a recent static test there was 94.5dB at 5400rpm using a 7" x 24" Powerspeed silencer freshly packed with Acousta-Fil Boa. Snetterton a week or so before was 92db at just over 5000rpm.

I'm still experimenting with how far and where I can push in terms of driveby exhaust and induction noise, but I know I can't get very close to 7000rpm next to the exhaust-side meters at Bedford without being red-carded. Induction side, I'm on Jenveys with an open filter hanging out of the bonnet, blaring away. Driveby at Bedford is 87.5dB. If you can get a car to be Bedford-friendly, it'll be fine everywhere else. Except for the more road-based 88dB static "quiet" days that some circuits run.

Martyn's Raceco is beautiful, as are all of Raceco's silencers. I'd highly recommend swapping the silencing material though.

• 2 weeks later...

Why swap the packing material? On the standard R500 silencer, I don't find Acoustifil very effective. It is much louder with that than it used to be. I am not sure about the science of teh packing, I must admit. I know you can over fill, but I don't think I have done so.

I have a similar issue ( well other than its Duratec rather than k )

104 static

tried a Decibel Slayer at Curbourgh yesterday and apparently it made a noticeable difference

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/car-preparation/decibel-slayer-bolt-on-exhaust-noise-decibel-reducer-insert

Will get some comparative data when I try and get car on Goodwood for a sprint which is 105 db static at 3/4 rev and 101 drive by

Will let you know if / when I get black flagged

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted the Raceco that I purchased from Martyn and there is a noticeable difference as you would expect .  Going to buy a sound metre to try and put some  numbers on it but the induction at 4000rpm is savage.  So airbox next - any advances on the Scouse type ?  

I wad looking at the DT Db slayer as well and thinking that maybe useful to have in the kit for a TD - how does that fit on the flared exit Delbert ?