Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repairing carbon fibre rear wing

Cookie Monster

After my cone/wing coming together at Blyton with the obvious high speed wing removal my wing is pretty knackered with two rather large cracks/tears and associated heavy scuffing. Fortunately I did have it fastened by nylon bolts so no real damage to the skin of the car.

Does anybody know if this is an economic or even feasible repair or am I better just getting a (secondhand) replacement?

If it is repairable can anybody recommend someone?

Thanks

I repaired a carbon nose (big crack and some grazing) using filler and glassfibre matting/resin. As it's fully painted the repair is pretty much invisible and the nosecone is still much lighter than my glassfibre 'best' nose. Not great if you want to show off the carbon pattern though and the weight is inevitably a tad more than an unpainted carbon nose...

Even so, worth having a go and using it as a spare or selling on if you replace rather than repair?

Andy

Phil

if it's near side and painted I have a spare , used approx 3 months . 

Has the " cut out " at the bottom for k series / x flow exhaust . 

HA5 post code so not far from you . 

PS I repaired a small crack in a wing previously having bought a carbon fishing rod repair kit ! ( pack of resin and carbon matting I bonded on the underside .

• Support Team

We repaired my very badly damaged wing with carbon mat and resin (thank you Mr Gemzoe). Not pretty and I've had to cover the top of the cracks with gaffer tape (to prevent splinters!) but it's held together.

The better you prepare it the longer it will last - we were a bit rushed so prep wasn't perfect.