Click here if you are having website access problems ×

The correct OBD scanner for a Duratec engine?

PC Pete

Still trying to track down the reason why my 2ltr Duratec won't rev beyond 6400 all of a sudden.

i have borrowed an OBD scanner -  it won't read anything from my Caterham but is fine with all the other cars it has been used with. There is nothing in particular to identify the scanner I have other than 'Vgate Scan' on it. Does anyone know which scanner I need to buy that will definitely work with my car?

many thanks

peter

The MBE ECU doesn't implement the OBD standard.  Yes it does have an OBD style plug on the loom but that is a red herring.  So to answer your question..  No OBD scanner will work with your car.

But that is a good thing, OBD is a pretty crude system that gives limited information.  There is a better way..  You need to buy a cable direct from MBE themselves and plug it into a laptop.

On a Sigma engine, the correct item is the MBE-MAP-KIT-3-CAN shown here: http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Engine_Management_Systems/ECU/Programming.htm

That is probably the correct item for the Duratec as well but I cannot confirm.  John Vine should be able to verify because I recently helped him get his Duratec connected.

With this system, you'll be able to see any error codes, but also monitor every engine parameter in real-time.  Much more useful for debugging problems.