Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine won't rev beyond 6400rpm

PC Pete

image.jpeg.e745ab3baf5fee3a2b065374db23bda8.jpeg

Well, thanks for your thoughts on this rev problem. Given the photo above I am hoping I have found the issue. Broken wire to the coil pack on cylinder no. 1.

Can't say I am impressed with the quality of what was supplied - this engine has only done 2500 miles and is less than 3 years old.

new connector on order from Simtek - should arrive tomorrow.

thanks again for your thoughts.

peter

Thanks John

yep - same issue - cylinder no.1. Break in the wire to the coil pack. Well, held on by 2 strands till I got my hands on it!

wasn't aware of the race loom. I'm guessing they might be expensive. Anyway - replacement connector  on it's way. Tomorrow's job. Will look further at the other thread - great photos and write up. Interesting that it is a known problem. But after 2500 miles? Really? 

Having built three Caterhams how did I get this far without Blatchat?!

Peter

Thanks again Gents for help and advice. New connector to the COP?  on cylinder 1 and full revs are restored. Replacement loom on order with Caterham.  Further advice from an F1 engineer (responsible for the electrics integration ) means that I may well beef up the new look when it arrives.

Shame it's due to rain tomorrow ......

Pleased to hear it's fixed.  You'll find that the flexi-loom wiring is quite a bit more substantial the the standard flimsy wiring.  The leads are sheathed in heat-resistant and vibration-resistant silicone.  Definitely does the job!

Note that you may have to do a bit of loom-splicing to fit the male 6-way Econoseal.

JV