Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camera mounts and scruitineers

Delbert

One of the things I took from yesterday is the ability to review in the cold light of day how far from the apex etc I am 

looking at a Rioch waterproof shock proof that is a third of the price of a GoPro 

the fixed mount is plastic , seems robust but is designed as a cycle mount 

does the scruitineer check these things , is there a regulation ? 

Or is it as simple as track days ie a mechanical fix as opposed to a suction cup ?

The camera mount has to be substantial enough to secure the camera, and must not be a suction type mount. Most of the plastic mounts do get commented on as they do flex alot.

I use a cycle bar mount like this much more secure and never had a negative comment. There a few different versions around so might be one suitable for the camera you are looking at.

Thanks all -  and as for switching on I do know someone who recorded and hour of tape ( oh those were the days) of his car sitting in a pub in Betys and also recorded himself having a pee in a lay by but none of the road trip between the two events 

As an ex-scrutineer I have always been concerned about camera mounts; however as units are becoming lighter there is less worries. Blue book Appendix J 5.21.5 details that fixings should be mechanical (not suction cup) and be away from driver to avoid helmet or limb interference. In addition it is preferable to have a secondary fixing (I.e. cable ties)

I've been to a few driver briefings where they've said that all cameras need to have some kind of tether, regardless of the type and security of mount used.  Seems like a sensible precaution and could be as simple as a piece of cord wrapped around the rollbar.