Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Strip down advice

cliffy858

Im getting ready to strip apart my 2.0vx engined car so I can send the chassis away to arch for repair, does anyone have any tips or advice on Taking a seven apart before I start? Does the engine and gearbox come out in one piece on this model or do I have to split it in the car?

I split engine/gearbox in the car.

Remove alternator and push bracket out of the way. Tilt the engine 30/40 degrees when lifting .... (cap off waterways or expect coolant everywhere)

When removing the gearbox, be sure to cap the propshaft end or suffer a lake of oil on the floor.

I attack the bellhousing bolt above the starter motor from the front of the car with a long socket extension (having removed the rad)

I think I took it out as one unit once (20+ years ago ...) but find it a lot easier to split. It will be just as (potentially) messy whichever way you attack it as all the pipe work will be disconnected ...

You will surely want to split engine and gearbox anyway if you are taking them out, to inspect the clutch ...

There is always potential for damage when you have a big weight swaying over your chassis and splitting it makes manoeuvering a lot easier

Yes I was going to split it to inspect the clutch and maybe fit a lightened flywheel if it doesn't already have one, Just thought it would be easier to do once it was out. I haven't yet looked at how easy the bell housing bolts are to get to but I guess there not that bad if you prefer to do it that way. Thanks. *thumb_up*

Great job you did there and it gives me a good idea of what is involved. I want to do the same except mine also needs a long front and new front suspension do to accident damage. I see that you only reused the bonnet, Is it worth trying to save any of the aluminium  panels or do they get damaged getting them off? My car needs a complete outer skin but the interior/scuttle/boot panels look ok. 

Thanks guys, im just waiting for some big boxes before I start, I am going to arm myself with my camera phone and a roll of masking tape for reference labels . I am lucky enough to have access to a hoist and balance bar. I ran the car up today on axle stands and the gearbox sounds noisy so that will require a strip down while its out I'm sure. 

To be honest I decided quite early on that I would go for all new panels (inside and out) and kept just 3; bonnet and the front and rear tunnel covers. I therefore didn't take too much care when stripping down the 7. If you can try and get hold of a build manual  as well.