Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to... Adjust wheel bearing end float and repack?

martyn

I'm just about to service my car for the first time.  There are 2 items that I'm not sure about:

• Wheel bearing end float - Check and adjust
  • Wheel bearing - Repack

The end float I've got a good idea about but could do with a step-by-step guide just to confirm.

I presume the repacking is referring to repacking with fresh grease? But what parts need grease, how do I access them, and what grease is used?

I've searched both this site and google and couldn't come up with anything so could do with some pointers.

Thanks.

Work LM grease into the inner and outer bearing races with your fingers. No need to fill the void between them. Tighten the hub nut to pull the bearing races home, then slacken the nut again half a turn. Retighten lightly while turning the hub. Refit the wheel and see if there is any play by holding the wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and pushing/pulling. If play detected, tighten nut a few degrees. Check wheel turns freely. When happy .... Fit split pin through nut and a hole in shaft. Note there are two holes to choose for best fit.

Thanks.  I have a few of questions..

• Am I correct that the objective is to get the hub nut tight enough so there is no play, but no tighter?
  • What is the significance of turning the hub as you tighten the nut?
  • Is it a bad idea to flush the bearings out with degreaser and thoroughly dry before repacking?
  • What do I need to do with the bearings on the rear of the car?