Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camera mounting with external mic

Smithy77

I've just got a Sony AS30V camera as a birthday pressie and I'm looking to mount on the roll bar somewhere. I will also (probably, depending on what sound is like without) want to use an external mic located somewhere under the dash. I will also like to have a USB power supply to the camera when in use on the car.

The mic input (or any other ports for that matter), do not seem to be usable while the waterproof case is used. However, there doesn't appear to be an obvious means of mounting the camera without the case, i.e. there is no 'screw mounting' on the camera its self.

So my question is, how do you guys mount your cameras whilst still maintaining use of an external mic? The same problem would apply if you want to use a USB charge cable when in use on the car.

Thanks!

I agree with essill's somewhat short but practical solution.  It may seem drastic but it works and you don't require a fully waterproof case unless you are taking it for a dive as opposed to a drive :)

I don't have a dremil so just drilled small holes in the water proof casing and opened them up with a small file.  The last camera I did this with was a Go Pro ... no mount socket unless you use the waterproof case.  No plastic cap on the Go Pro but when you think about it ... what is it's purpose ... you only use the flap when you aren't using the camera

Good point! The thought of "breaking" my new birthday pressie from my wife just didn't sound too good, but it seems it is the only way *thumbup*

Next question, any recommendations on the best roll bar mount to get? Ditto external mic?

P.S. If it makes any difference to mount recommendations, the new car has a full double-D roadsport cage fitted

I felt the same way drilling holes and with another camera, Action Pro, I actually sawed off the lens of the waterproof  casing to prevent steaming up and provide a better overall picture. 

I have tried a number of roll bar mounts, the cheap and cheary ones do the job ok but I  eventually went for the more expensive clamp mount because it is not only more versatile, it is very quick to remove, which is a real bonus either if it suddenly starts pouring down or you arrive at a hotel and need to unpack quickly to get into the bar for a beer :)  There is a good range here but I have two of the "Super Clamp" type priced at £39.99

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/roll-bar-cage-mounts.htm

I tried a number of external mics., even a karaoke style mic. which lasted for around 5 days before falling silent.  This is the one I use, it has been very reliable and gives great results.

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/external-mic.html?search=microphone

there are others that I haven't tried here:

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=microphone

I usually have the mic mounted under the dash and find that the gain has to be turned right down for best results

I followed Esslll's route with my GoPro, to be able to feed it external power.

It involved cutting a hole in the side of the waterproof case, which I kept as close as possible to the size of the USB plug, and trimming the camera's port cover to expose the USB socket whilst still covering the HDMI socket and memory card slot.

It's fine in light damp and when it gets properly wet, the half-hood goes on and then you can't leave the camera on the top of the roll bar anyway, so it goes in the boot or lower down where the hood offers some protection.

There is one major flaw with this option with my particular camera.... all the ports are on the underside of the camera, and therefore the case hardware for the mounting point and the clasp which secures the front opening flap (where you slide the camera in and out) all get in the way!! See here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jis61hv3bg8u4e/sony-action-cam-tripod-mount.jpg?dl=0

Unless anyone has any other ideas, looks like im stuck with in-built mic *confused*

The mic holes through the front of the cover look quite well muffled, so maybe it will be ok.....