Click here if you are having website access problems ×

roadsport diff.

Charlie Beaton

I have a 2002 roadsport with 12.000 mls on it.Since I bought it a couple of years ago it has a knock from the diff, worse when the oil is hot.Silly question,but is this normal, because as the diff is bolted to the chassis, noise will be transmitted more easily,or does it need fixing?

Are you meaning a klunk as you take up drive? I think a degree of that is normal. There's nothing to absorb the kind of noises you don't get to hear in a tintop. The salesman at Caterham told me it would get better as I got used to driving the car. Funnily enough, it did.

If it is just a slight knock, check the rubber mounts are OK and if all looks well leave it. If you get the diff rebuilt, there's a good chance it will end up more noisy in my opinion.

Look in the archives about 5 years ago. There was a long long debate about Quaife diffs that had built in back-lash that made them clunky and noisy. Depending on your luck they were bad or very bad!

This was the reason for the change to BMW diffs.

its a rather expensive conversion, but the result is a totally silent transmission with zero backlash, and this transforms the driving experience.

Peter 

2002 car with 12000 miles. It's not run in yet !! Serious under use. Have you checked the oil level ? Have you ever changed the oil .... EP90. Does it have a limited slip diff fitted ? Depending on the type .... they can clunk. As above .... you can get it overhauled by SPC or Road & Race ..... and adjusted to take up backlash.