Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulb upgrades

W2TKY

Noticed  several times since getting my first Seven that people seem not to see my rear lights, mainly  indicators on the motorway  when changing lanes,  but I'm increasingly more concerned  that the brake lights are poor also.

I'm aware of LED's and uprated bulbs but wanted to ask if anyone has advice  and experience with uprating the rear bulbs. 

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark

I definitely recommend a high-level brake light, fixed to the top of the rollover bar. Very cheap and easy, and makes a real different to visibility. Loads of posts on here about how to fit etc. You'll need the small extra loom from Caterham, unless you're a dab hand with connectors and soldering irons...

Ned

Get the 48 LED strip brake light from Car Builder Solutions and mount it under the roll bar .... so it can be seen when half hood fitted ... and won't interfere with fitting the hood. Attach with a bead of silicone front and rear. Run cable under electrical insulation tape down roll bar brace to inside of boot. Use CC sub loom to connect. Cheap and easy.

To answer your question, upgrading to decent LED bulbs makes a huge difference. Auto bulbs direct can help. I've got Twenty20 382 60 Amber bulbs for indicators and the 380 red for tail/brake lights and they are a massive improvement. You can also get the same 360 degree led bulbs from eBay. Well worth it in my opinion. Just ordered some Phillips Extreme Vision +130% H4 bulbs for the headlights too. Will see how they go. I also did the front indicator / DRL conversion that someone posted on here using a switchback white/Amber led using a Land Rover tail lamp holder and it's genius!

Piers

No glare at all, even on a dark night. The inside of the hood is black, and doesn't really bounce the light around at all.

With the normal hood on, of course, the LED strip doesn't show through the window if you mount it on the standard rollover bar. I'm not sure whether there's any detectable glow from behind - probably looks rather nice if there were!

Ned

Hi

I'm using clear indicators however you can buy the bulbs in white which will work with coloured lenses if you don't like the clear lenses.

One other thing worth mentioning is the standard metal reflector which was really dull on my car, so I used some 3M silver reflective tape to increase the "reflectiveness"

Ill post some pics if I can next week.

P

• 4 weeks later...