OK, I can't get this in one.

Before the MoT I would check:

• That series of tests above
  • Lights that do work are equally bright on both sides
  • Bad connectors on the wires at the bulb holder
  • Bad contact between the bulb and the holder
  • Swapping the bulbs between sides and seeing where the fault goes
  • Seating of the relay
  • Giving both switches a good wiggle and thump.

Jonathan

• Support Team

The dip/main switch can sometimes fail but normally I'd expect neither side to work on main beam in that case. Swap the connectors on the back of the switch and if it now works on main beam but not on dip then it's the switch.

Otherwise try replacing the flash switch.

What year / engine type is your car?

I've spent some time staring at the wiring diagram relevant to mine (K Series) and I can't see any possible failure mode that would match your symptoms. My reasoning is as follows (can anyone see the flaw that I may be missing?):

• Both front main beams are powered off the same fuse (F8) and both front dipped beams off the same fuse (F9).
  • Failure of these fuses would completely take out either main or dipped beam on both sides.
  • Anything downstream of these fuses is only "aware" of whether power is being fed to the relevant fuse and is therefore "unaware" of (i.e. cannot be affected by) the route that power took to that fuse, i.e. whether it came through the main/dip circuit or the separate flash circuit. Therefore there isn't a fault mode downstream of the fuses that could cause the two headlights to respond differently to the switch positions.
  • Anything upstream of these fuses is completely common to the left and right circuits, and any failure here would therefore necessarily affect the two headlights in the same way.
  • That only leaves a possible fault in the earth return side. However I can't see any way in which an earth fault would leave main beam working on flash but not when main beam is selected.

So I can only conclude that either I am misunderstanding the exact symptoms, or your car must be wired differently to mine.

If I were you I would definitely do precisely the tests that Jonathan has asked you to do above and then post up the results and we will see if it makes any sense. Make sure you record exactly what happens on both sides in each case.

Just one thought (and I'm really not sure how later models are wired and if they may differ significantly from the wiring diagram I am looking at): Is it possible that your car is wired such that the flash switch operates both main and dipped beams, in which case when you operate the flash switch could you be seeing the dipped beam alone lighting up on the one side? If so, the symptoms would be explained simply by a blown main beam filament in the bulb on that side.

With main beam switched on, use a multimeter to measure the voltage at each of the three terminals on the bulb holder (in each case connect the positive probe on the meter to the terminal in question and the negative probe to the battery negative or a known good earth such as the engine block). This will quickly identify whether it is a supply or earth problem. 12V missing where expected means supply wiring problem. 12V found on the ground side of the bulb where not expected means earth fault.

Thanks guys, still haven't cracked it but I was wrong, the flash does not work on that side so it is main beam not working on off side.

The car is a 98 K series. The earth is working for the dip and they are all connected but I shall remove and clean. All connections and wires look good.

I will keep you posted

Roger

Did that first of all assuming that would be the issue. 6.30 this morning in garage, light stripped down, cleaned earths, were a little corroded, thought that would solve it. No, looked at all connections, nothing obvious. Will put a meter on it later, but must be the connector, everything else works on that side except main beam??

Thanks guys, these things do drive you to drink!!

Roger

Solved it!!! The full beam cable into the connector at the front of the frame under the bonnet is a bit dodgy. Possibly some strands have pulled out of the spade end, probably due to vibration at the front.

They are shoved in hard at the moment ready for MOT tomorrow and they will be sorted at the w.e. I got drenched this morning driving to the garage in aero mode. Because the weather was so bad they didn't expect me to turn up!!!  As one road worker wag put it, 'get a roof' Tomorrow morning is due to be fine,Harrah

Thank you all for help and support in the hour of need.

Roger

Hi Malcolm, needed to be taxed end of this month......Mot passed so it is all go now.

Remember my little misdemeanor at last Curborough when I jumped the bank on the return crossover, (seemed to earn me another golden trowel!!) well that pulled all the rivets out of the floor pan under my seat, discovered during MOT. Mark the MOT man is very kind!!

Roger